JUNE 27, 2014 — Great Lakes Shipyard, Cleveland, Ohio, has reached a five year agreement with Damen Shipyards authorizing it as an official builder of Damen designs.
The agreement provides for Damen technical services, including experienced personnel for onsite management and supervision on any and all construction projects.
Great Lakes Shipyard is a full-service shipyard for new vessel and barge construction, fabrication, maintenance, and repairs in a state-of-the-art facility that includes a 770-ton mobile Travelift and a 300-ton floating drydock.
The shipyard says the agreement provides the perfect environment for further development of proven designs to establish Great Lakes Shipyard's Damen Series, a collection of marine products for the following markets:
- Harbor & Terminal: Ranging from towage and movements services such as Stan Tugs, launches, pilots and boats to harbor services such as work barges, skimmers, dredges, and high-speed craft.
- Offshore: Ranging from fast crew suppliers to sophisticated state-of-the-art deep sea anchor handlers.
- Offshore Wind: Ranging from wind farm support vessels, fast crew boats, and shoalbusters to wind farm maintenance barges and the fully integrated infrastructure support vessel, the Damen “Sea Base.”
- Defense & Security: Ranging from security and patrol vessels such as Interceptors and Stan Patrols to amphibious support ships and naval auxiliaries.
- Public Transport: Ranging from ultra-modern ferries, water taxis, and water buses, to RoPax and double Ended.
- Fishing: Trawlers
- Pontoons & Barges: Ranging from multi-purpose and submersible pontoons, and research vessels to truckable products, cranes, and specialty barges.
Initially established over a century ago for maintenance and repairs of the Great Lakes Group's own fleet of tugs and barges, the shipyard was expanded in the early 1980s, to include commercial marine repair services for all types of commercial and government vessels. It entered the newbuilding market in the mid 2000s.