JANUARY 5, 2016 —The U.S. Coast Guard this morning issued an update on the river closures, restrictions and advisories that have been put in place response to floods in the midwest.
As of 8.00 a.m. CST, the following Coast Guard sectors had issued closures or restrictions:
Coast Guard Sector CUpper Mississippi River:
- The Coast Guard Captain of the Port has reopened the Mississippi River surrounding the St. Louis Harbor from mile marker 179 to mile marker 185. Vessels operating in this area must be in compliance with horsepower and barge restrictions in accordance with the Western Rivers Waterways Action Plan.
- Illinois River is open with restrictions between mile markers 0 to 50 from Hardin, Illinois to Valley City, Illinois. Mariners are asked to minimize wake and avoid laying vessels against saturated levees. Recreational traffic is strongly discouraged due to debris and swift currents. The Illinois River remains closed between mile marker 50 and mile marker 100.
- The Missouri River is open to vessel traffic.
- The Coast Guard urges mariners to monitor VHF-FM channels 16 and 22 for any changes to the river.
For more details on the closures set in place by Sector Upper Mississippi River call the command center at 314-269-2610.
Coast Guard Sector Ohio Valley:
- The Coast Guard has reopened the Mississippi River from mile marker 110, near Chester Illinois, to mile marker 34, near Billings Landing, Missouri.
- A safety advisory is in place from mile marker 110 to mile marker 0. While river stages are decreasing, mariners are advised that drift, debris, and strong currents may be a hazard to navigation.
- The Coast Guard continues to work with the Army Corps of Engineers to monitor the integrity of the levee systems in Ohio Valley and around the Cape Girardeau region.
For more details on the restrictions set in place by Sector Ohio Valley call the command center at 1-800-253-7465.
Coast Guard Sector Lower Mississippi River:
- High water safety advisory on Lower Mississippi River from mile marker 869, near Caruthersville, Missouri, to mile marker 303 near Natchez, Mississippi.
- Safety zone between mile markers 737 and 734 on the Lower Mississippi River.
For more details on the restrictions set in place by Sector Lower Mississippi River call the command center at 901-521-4824.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans:
- High water towing limitations near Morgan City for vessels heading southbound with a length no greater than 600 feet.
- A high water safety advisory is in effect from mile marker 219 to mile marker 240 near Baton Rouge, La.
For more details on the limitations call Morgan City Vessel Traffic Services at 985-380-5374.