Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Inc. reports that on, September 11, it conducted the keel laying for R.B. Weeks, ESG Hull 258, a new trailing suction hopper dredge for Cranford, N.J., headquartered Weeks Marine, Inc. (WMI)
The keel laying comes five month’s following the contract signing for the vessel and less than a month after steel cutting commenced.
Being constructed at Eastern’s Allanton Shipyard in Panama City, Fla., this is the shipbuilder’s second trailing suction hopper dredge project for Weeks Marine. The Magdalen, ESG Hull 256 was delivered back in December of 2017.
The R.B. Weeks, is named in honor of Richard B. Weeks, a co-founder of Weeks Marine and married to Magdalen Weeks, the namesake of the previous sister vessel Magdalen.
This new state of the art trailing suction hopper dredge is scheduled for delivery early 2023.
The dredge has the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (Overall): 356’ x 79’-6”’x 27’-3”
- Designer: Royal IHC
- Main Engines: (2) GE 16V250 MDC IMOIII/EPA Tier 4
- Main Propulsion: (2) Wartsila CPP in nozzles
- Main Gears: (2) Siemens (Flender)
- Bow Thruster: (1) AC 730 kW VFD Fixed Pitch Tunnel Unit
- Main Shaft Generators: (2) x 3,400 ekW
- Auxiliary Generator: (1) GE 6L250 MDC (1,423 ekW) IMOIII/EPA Tier 4
- Emergency Generator: (1) Caterpillar C18 (430 ekW) IMOII/EPA Tier 3
- Classification: Lloyd’s Register, +100A1 Hopper Dredger, +LMC, UMS
- Hopper Capacity: 8,550 cu. yd (6,540 cu. m)
- Accommodations: 26 persons