Eastern delivers first in a series of Z-Tech tugsWritten by Nick Blenkey
DECEMBER 30, 2015 — Eastern Shipbuilding, Panama City, FL, reports that it delivered the escort tug Triton to Suderman & Young Towing Company earlier this month.
The vessel is one of a series of Z-Tech 2400 class terminal and escort tugs designed by Robert Allan Ltd of Vancouver, BC, that are currently under construction at Eastern’s Nelson Street Shipyard.
The Triton is the first of four tugs of this type being constructed for Suderman & Young, with a further series of four being built for Bay-Houston Towing Company. G&H Towing Company will operate all the vessels after delivery and is the owners’ onsite representative and agent during the engineering, construction and delivery for both Suderman & Young and Bay Houston.
The tugs have the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (Overall): 80′-0″x 38′-3″x 15′-9″
- Total Horsepower: 5,150 HP @ 1,600 RPM
- Main Engines: two Caterpillar 3516C (B rating) Tier 3 marine propulsion diesel engines
- Main Propulsion: two Schottel Model SRP 1215FP in Nozzles Z-Drives
- Main Generators: two John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3, 99 kW 480 V @ 1,800 RPM marine diesel generator sets
- Hawser Winch: one Markey Machinery Fairleader 50HP Electric Hawser Winch, Model DEPCF-48S, 36″ wide Drum Mid-drum brake holding capacity 300,000 lb
- Classification: ABS +A1, Towing Vessel, AMS and Escort Service ABS Loadline (SoC), Statement of Compliance
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.