OCTOBER 21, 2016 — Enterprise Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software specialist Aras Corp reports that Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Ingalls Shipbuilding division has selected the Aras Innovator platform to support the complex engineering processes in the development of the technologically advanced warships for the U.S. Navy, and the U.S. Coast Guard.
Aras says its slution was selected by Ingalls to streamline and standardize processes on a single platform and remove the bottlenecks that occur with numerous stand-alone systems and databases.
Aras will be used to better manage models, drawings, parts, technical specifications, structural planning and planning data.
The shipbuilder anticipates more than 3,000 members of its engineering and product development team will use Aras over time.
Ingalls Shipbuilding will use Aras Innovator to improve the following key areas:
- Concurrent Engineering – Ability to proceed with engineering the design of the ship while a model is out for planning and configuration management
- Configuration Management – Full configuration & change management of entire warships
- Rules Based Design & Planning – Validation of designs from engineering to ensure best practice criteria are used
- Model Recovery – Ability to store “Work In Progress” models for use in CAD
- Process Improvements – Better management of data and product information during model releases, changes, and other engineering processes
“Designing and building the warships of the future requires solving tough technological challenges today with engineering business processes that provide greater collaboration,” said Peter Schroer, CEO of Aras. “Aras is proud to support the business of engineering at Huntington Ingalls Industries as they continue to deliver advancements in their portfolio.”