DECEMBER 12, 2018 — Demonstrating that it is very much back in operation after the devastation wrought on the Florida Panhandle by Hurricane Michael, Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Inc. reports that it launched the escort/rescue Z-drive tug Ava M. McAllister, on order for McAllister Towing & Transportation Company, Inc. on December 7, 2018 — just 58 days after the hurricane struck.
Present at the launch was the owners’ onsite representative, Jamie Thibodeaux of McAllister Towing, and Eastern’s project manager Patrick D’Isernia.
The Ava M. McAllister (ESG Hull #222) arrived at Eastern earlier this year and is currently under construction at Eastern’s Allanton facility with delivery scheduled for second quarter 2019. She is being built to the same 100′ Z-drive tug design provided by Jensen Maritime Consultants of Seattle, WA, as the Rosemary McAllister (ESG Hull #224) and the upcoming Capt. Jim McAllister (ESG Hull #223).
The lead vessel in the four tug series, the Capt. Brian McAllister was delivered in summer of 2017 by Horizon Shipbuilding, Inc.
The Ava M. McAllister has the following characteristics:
- Dimensions (Overall): 100′ x 40′ x 16′-4″
- Total Horsepower: 6,771 HP
- Main Engines: two Caterpillar 3516E, 3,386 HP @ 1800 RPM, Tier 4 EPA certified marine propulsion diesel engines
- Main Propulsion: two Schottel SRP-4000 Z-Drives fixed pitch drop-in tubs
- Main Generators: three Caterpillar C7.1 Turbocharged, each rated at 118 kW @ 1,800 RPM
- Firefighting: twp Caterpillar C18 Tier 3 EPA certified marine auxiliary diesel engines, two FFS Model 1,200 lb monitors, min of 5,284 GPM
- Hawser Winch: one Markey Machinery Series DESF-48-100 single drum hawser winch, bow mounted
- Towing Winch: one Markey Machinery Series TES-40 single drum tow winch or approved equal, stern mounted