PSA Marine, Singapore, has taken delivery of two more Robert Allan Ltd. designed RAmparts 3200 ASD tugs from China’s PaxOcean Engineering Zhuhai Co. Ltd. The tugs, PSA Marvel and PSA Valkyrie, are of the same basic design as the PSA Thor and PSA Hulk delivered by the same shipyard in 2018, but with some improvements.
A deckhouse and wheelhouse exclusively developed for PSA Marine give them a distinctive appearance.
High performance tugs of this design are suitable for ship assist in berthing and unberthing operations at ports/terminals, coastal towing operations and in addition are capable of escort service.
Key particulars of the PSA Marvel and PSA Valkyrie are:
- Length, overall: 32.00 meters
- Beam, molded: 12.00 meters
- Depth, least molded: 5.33 meters
- Maximum draft (overall): 5.42 meters
- Gross Tonnage: 496
Tank Capacities are:
- Fuel oil: 205 cu.m
- Potable Water: 32 cu.m
- Main Engine lube oil: 3.5 cu.m
- Foam: 6.5 cu.m
- Sewage holding tank: 5 cu.m
The vessels are constructed to Lloyd’s Register of Shipping Class requirements with the following notation:
LR ✠ 100 A1, Tug, Escort Tug, Fire Fighting Ship 1 with Water Spray, ✠ LMC, UMS, IWS
Propulsion and auxiliary machinery consist of:
- 2 x Caterpillar 3516C main diesels
- 2 x Schottel model SRP 510 Z-drives
- 2 x Cummins CSMTA11-IMO T2 diesel gensets
- Fore winch: Rolls Royce ETWH 2000/800 hydraulic single split drum hawser winch
- Aft winch: Rolls Royce TW 2000/100 H hydraulic single drum winch
- Tugger winch: Macgregor MG-HUW-05-UL hydraulic tugger winch
- Deck crane: Palfinger PK12000
The accommodations have been outfitted to a MLC compliant standard for a crew of ten. The main deckhouse contains an entrance lobby, the galley, mess, two officer cabins and a WC. The lower deck contains four double berth cabins with shared en suite WC. The wheelhouse is designed with a single split control station which provides maximum all round visibility and exceptional visibility to the bow and side fendering. The engine room features a small, acoustically isolated switchboard room.
On trials, the PSA Marvel and PSA Valkyrie met or exceeded all performance expectations, with the following results:
- Bollard Pull, ahead: 83.5 tonnes
- Free running speed, ahead: 13.5 knots