Bordelon christening continues Susan G. Komen partnership

Shelia Bordelon Shelia Bordelon

MARCH 3, 2015 — Bordelon Marine, New Orleans, LA, is partnering with Susan G. Komen to christen the MV Shelia Bordelon on Friday, March 20, at Bordelon Marine Shipbuilders in Houma, LA.  

As part of a continuing partnership (which we reported on in our November 2014 issue), Bordelon Marine will donate a portion of the profits from the ship to the New Orleans affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. A pink stripe will be featured on the vessel along with the Susan G. Komen New Orleans logo.

Bordelon Marine has also enlisted several of the vendor companies that are involved with the Shelia Bordelon to be a sponsor of the christening by making a direct donation to Susan G. Komen on behalf of the ship.  

MV Shelia Bordelon is the second vessel in Bordelon's new Stingray series 260 ft Class DP2.  All of the Stingray vessels will be built at Bordelon Marine Shipbuilders.

"We are very pleased to be involved with Susan G. Komen New Orleans and the level of support from our vendors and the community has been amazing," said Wes Bordelon, President/CEO Bordelon Marine. "What began as a way to bring my immediate family some solace in this difficult time has truly brought out the best in my extended work family and the community as a whole. I am truly grateful for those who have joined us in this endeavor of support."

"We are so honored to join with Bordelon Marine and their partners in christening the MV Shelia Bordelon," said Lisa Plunkett, Komen New Orleans Affiliate Director. "The MV Shelia Bordelon is a BIG and beautiful way to honor Shelia, the person, [Wes Bordelon's mother in law Shelia Harasimowicz], during her courageous fight with breast cancer."

The 257' x 52' x 18' DP-2 MV Shelia Bordelon is a Stingray series 260 Class Ultra-Light Intervention Vessel.  It has a mezzanine deck capable of housing two work class ROV's with a clear deck of 143' x 44' (6,280 sq.ft) and a top speed of 14 knots.
The Stingrays feature Cummins QSK 60-M (Enviro friendly) Tier 3 main propulsion along with Schottel 1215, 220 hp per Z-Drives and Schottel STT2, 1,020 hp per bow thrusters.  All systems are fully automated and controlled from the bridge.

The Stingray series are SOLAS classed, FIFI 1 ACCU, EEP 175, and Tier3. The MV Shelia Bordelon also features a 50 Ton NOV active heave-compensating crane with 3,000 meters of wire.

The vessel can accommodate up to 60 persons and features an internal ROV office and control room.

The MV Shelia Bordelon Race Team will be out at the Susan G. Komen signature fundraising event, the Race for the Cure, to be held Saturday, October 24th 2015. Seventy-five percent (75%) of the net funds raised will fund local breast cancer programs; the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) will support vital breast cancer research. Susan G. Komen is the second largest funder of breast cancer research, behind only the U.S. Government, and these dollars fund the research to find the cures for breast cancer and provide pathways for new breast cancer treatments.
Since inception in 1992, Komen New Orleans has funded more than $4.8 million dollars in local breast cancer grants and an additional $1.5 million to breast cancer research. ough our local grantees, volunteers and community partners. For more information, please visit our website at

Want more? Subscribe now!

Newsletter Signup

Subscribe to Marine Daily for breaking marine news