MAY 1, 2015 — Spanish naval shipbuilder Navantia has launched the twelfth and final LLC fast landing craft in a series being built for the Royal Australian Navy. Their design is based on the fast landing craft built by Navantia for the Spanish Navy between 2006 and 2008.
The contract for the construction of the series was signed in September 2011 and the program has been executed at Navantia's Bay of Cádiz shipyard.
The landing craft are destined to operate with two Canberra class landing helicopter dock (LHD) ships, built in Spain by Navantia for completion in Australa by BAE Systems.
The main characteristics of the landing craft are:
- Length overall: 23.30 m
- Length, waterline: 21.27 m
- Width: 6.40 m
- Depth: 2.80 m
- Propulsion: two 809 kW diesel engines, two waterjets
- Speed: more than 20 knots
- Range: 190 miles at full load
- Loading capacity flexibility: Abrams vehicle, several Army vehicles, fusiliers' company or 20 ft container truck.