APRIL 15, 2015 — The Singapore Shipping Association (SSA) has appointed Captain Ang Chin Eng as its full time Technical Director. He will be responsible for ensuring that the association maintains its pledge to deliver a high level of technical advice and service to its members against a rapidly changing international regulatory landscape.
The Singapore Shipping Association (SSA) is a national trade association that represents more than 470 shipping companies and other businesses. Its members include shipowners and operators, ship managers, ship agents and others such as shipbrokers, classification societies, marine insurers, bunker suppliers, maritime lawyers, and shipping bankers.
Captain Ang has over 40 years of experience in the maritime sector, initially as a seafarer and port captain and, later, as an academic. He is a qualified Master Mariner (New Zealand) and an accountant – FCA (Singapore) and FCPA (Australia). He holds an MBA from the University of Queensland, the MCILT (UK), and the OND in Nautical Science (UK).
- As SSA Technical Director, Captain Ang is tasked to:
- Monitor and raise visibility on technical, legal/policy matters that affect the maritime industry
- Manage and articulate on technical, legal/policy with SSA members
- Liaise with industry bodies and government organizations to facilitate co-operation between different sectors of the maritime industry
- Manage the SSA Secretariat's obligations on maritime/shipping compliance matters
- Identify technical trends, develop programs / initiatives / activities to enhance SSA members' knowledge
- Act as Secretary to various SSA technical committees
- Develop training course materials/contents and conduct training deemed relevant to maritime needs
- Build an in-house library of technical advisory/papers/reference materials for SSA members
- Act as an advisor on all technical content in secretariat corporate communications and publicity matters
- As and when required, serve as a technical advisor to the SSA Executive Director in his capacity as FASA (Federation of ASEAN Shipowners Associations) Secretary General and ASF (Asian Shipowners Forum) Safe Navigation and Environment Committee Secretary
Captain Ang has been in academia over the last 20 years and was, until recently, the Singapore Polytechnic's course manager for the Diploma in Maritime Business and, earlier, the Diploma in Nautical Studies. His other poly-wide contributions earned him the Singapore Polytechnic (SP) Excellence in Teaching Award. He was the Lecturer-in-Charge of SP Yachting Centre and oversaw all sailing activities. He is a qualified NCAP Level 3 Coach (Theory). He has served extensively on the Council of the Singapore Nautical Institute, holding a number of key appointments including Honorary Secretary, President and finally as Honorary Advisor. During this time, he authored/presented a number of technical reports.
At the national level and on a voluntary basis, he served as Member, Technical Committee for Bunkering, SPRING Singapore & Working Group on Code of Practice for Bunker Surveyors. At the international level, he served as a Competent Person to the IMO STCW Panel of Expert. On a voluntary basis, he commanded the civil resource units deployed to clean-up two of Singapore's worst oil spills.