APRIL 8, 2015 — Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Panama City, FL, recently signed a contract from repeat customer Weeks Marine, Inc., Cranford, NJ, covering construction of a 356 ft twin-screw trailing suction hopper dredge.
Named the WMI 475 Magdalen (ESG Hull 256), the Jones Act dredge will be built at Eastern's Allanton Panama City, FL, shipyard.
The delivery of the dredge is set for 2017.
Design and detailed engineering and the dredging equipment are being provided by Dredge Technology Corporation (DTC), a member of the IHC Merwede International Group.
Main particulars are:
- Dimensions (Overall): 356 ft x 79 ft 6 in x 27 ft 3 in
- Horsepower: (2) 5,682 BHP
- Main Engines: (2) GE 16V250
- Main Shaft Generators: (2) 3,400kW
- Auxiliary Generator: (1) GE 6L250 (1,423kW)
- Emergency Generator: (1) Caterpillar C18 (600kW)
- Classification: Lloyd's Register, 100A1 Hopper Dredger, LMC, UMS
- Flag & Regulatory: USA, USCG
- Hopper Capacity: 8,550 cu.yd
- LD Dredge Pump Power: (2) @ 1,600 kW
- HD Dredge Pump Power: (1) @ 1,600 kW
- Jet Pump Power: (2) @ 445kW
- Bow Thruster: (1) 730 kW VFD Fixed Pitch Tunnel Unit