MARCH 7, 2014 — Overseas Tampa, one of the Veteran Class Jones Act products tankers built by Aker Philadelphia Shipyard for operation by OSG, looks to be headed to Poland for conversion to a shuttle tanker at Remontowa Shipyard.
The National Vessel Documentation Center has issued a preliminary determination that the work involved will "will not result in the vessel being deemed to have been rebuilt foreign and will not jeopardize the vessel's eligibility to engage in the coastwise trades of the United States."
The work involves:
- Addition of a bow loading system consisting of a bow loading platform at approximately frames 95 to 110 with associated supporting systems and cargo pipe line.
- Addition of generator set for auxiliary power to bow thruster and bow loading equipment.
- Addition of single electrically driven bow thruster with tunnel (not previously fitted) at approximately frames 95-105.
- Conversion of main engine fixed pitch propulsion to controllable pitch propulsion and related upgrades; addition of main engine damper.
- Other related work such as the high-tech automation of these components.
Read the preliminary determination HERE