JULY 11, 2013 — The remaining section of the containership MOL Comfort has sunk. Owner Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd.(MOL) reports the fore part of the vessel sank in the high seas near 19'56"N 65'25"E (water depth about 3,000m) at 19:00 UTC on July 10 (04:00 on July 11 JST).
The five year old containership broke into two parts June 17 when the vessel encountered heavy weather in the Indian Ocean. Salvage efforts have been underway since then, but the aft section of the ship sank under tow June 26. Fire broke out on the remaining section July 6.
MOL says that about 2,400 containers on board the fore part of the vessel sank together, while some have been confirmed floating near the site.
About 1,600 metric tons of fuel oil and other oil were estimated to be in the tanks of the fore part. There is an oil film at the site, but no large volume of oil leakage has been observed at this moment, says MOL.
MOL says it has reported the sinking of the fore part to the flag state of the Bahamas, Indian authorities, and other parties concerned and that it will keep the salvage team at the scene to monitor oil leakage and the status of the floating containers.