APRIL 13, 2016 — Blount Boats, has delivered the Atlantic Pioneer, America's first U.S. Flagged Crew Transfer Vessel (CTV) from its Warren, RI, shipyard. It will begin service for Atlantic Wind Transfers serving Deep Water Wind's Block Island Wind farm at the end of May.
The 21 meter aluminum vessel was designed by South Boats IOW, Cowes, Isle of Wight, U.K, a pioneer in designing and manufacturing crew transfer vessels that has designed and built approximately 81 crew transfer vessels for the European offshore wind sector servicing wind farms throughout Europe. Blount Boats has held an exclusive licensing agreement with South Boats covering the U.S. offshore wind industry since 2011.
The South Boats' 21m is a twin hulled, all aluminum catamaran, dual certified to USCG Subchapter T (Small Passenger) to carry up to 47 passengers and subchapter L (Offshore Supply Vessel) to carry up to 16 offshore workers.
The propulsion system consists of two MAN V12-1400 hp engines, ZF Marine 3050 Gears, and Hamilton Jet HM571 waterjets. On trials, the vessel exceeded the contractual performance reaching sprint speeds in excess of 30 knots, with the ability to cruise (80% power) at 26 knots when in a light condition.
A Cummins Onan 17 kW generator provides AC power to the air conditioning system, a heating system and small galley. A PTO driven hydraulic system powers a deck crane, fire pump, fuel transfer pump, and a salt water pressure washing system. All other equipment is fed DC power through house batteries.
The vessel was specifically designed to carry up to 12 tons of cargo in the bow and 3 tons of cargo in the stern. The forward and after decks are outfitted with cargo lashing and container sockets. A knuckleboom crane is outfitted onto the bow area.
The bow has a bow boarding/loading platform to allow offshore workers to make the transition from the vessel to the wind turbine. The vessel connects to the turbine base by use of a special bow fendering system. The specified fender is the latest generation in proven fendering systems being installed in the European fleet.
The vessel is capable of making transfers in 1.5 m significant wave heights.
The interior of the deckhouse is outfitted with a head, a small galley area with settee seating, twelve (12) suspension seats, storage lockers, entertainment system, Wi-Fi, and sound absorbing decking. The entire deck house is isolated from the hull with vibration mounts for a quieter and smoother ride to and from the work site.
- Builder: Blount Boats, Inc. (Warren, RI)
- Designer: South Boats IOW (Cowes, UK)
- Principle Dimensions and Tankage:
- Length Overall:70.20' (21.4 m)
- Length Hull :63.3' (19.0 m)
- Length, DWL :59.33' (18.08 m)
- Max Beam :23.95' (7.3m)
- Draft :4.06' (1.24 m)
- Offshore workers:16
- Cargo Deadweight:12 Tons fwd & 3 Tons aft
- Displacement (Lightship):45 LT
- Total Fuel Capacity :2100 U.S. gal.
- Potable Water Capacity:130 U.S. gal.
- Sewage Capacity:70 U.S. gal.
- Service Speed:26 knots
- Sprint Speed:30 knots
- Certification: USCG Subchapter L/T (16 Crew OSV Work & 47 Passenger Excursion)
- Vessel Type:Twin Hull Catamaran
- Hull Material:Aluminum
- Main Engines:(2) MAN V12-1200CR [V-Nue], 1400hp @ 2150 rpm
- Gearboxes:(2) ZF model 3050
- Waterjets:(2) Hamilton HM571 w/ MECs Control System
- Trim Control:(2) Humphree Interceptors
- Engine Cooling:Sea water cooled
- Exhaust System:Wet Exhaust, Soundown
- Fuel:(2) Integral, fuel tanks.
- Electrical:24 VDC engine starting and ship service system, and 120/240 VAC, single phase
- Generator:Cummins Onan model 17 kW Marine Genset
- Batteries:Absorbed Gas Mat, Maintenance Free
- Shore Power:63 Amp
- Battery Chargers:(2) Main Engine supplied alternators and (3) Mastervolt
- Interior Lighting:Imtra (24v LED)
- Searchlight:Colorlight model CL20-11, Twin Halogen (Remote controlled)
- Navigation Lighting:As required per USCG COLREGS
- PH Window Wipers:(3) Exalto/Decca Straight line
- Navigation Electronics: OFE (Owner Furnished Equipment)
- Loudhailer:OFE (Owner Furnished Equipment)
- Fire Detection:Seafire
- Air Conditioning:(3) Dometic Cruise Air sea-water cooled AC systems w/ reverse cycle heat pumps
- Heating:Kabola Boiler forced hot water with radiators
- ER Ventilation:(2) Veotec (natural air intakes), and (2) Veotec (forced air vent exhausts)
- Bilge System:(12) Rule 3700 independent submersible pumps (24v)
- Fire Fighting System:(1) Hydraulically driven fire pump w/ fire hose station on Main Deck
- Potable Water:Supplied from rigid water tank to galley sink, head sink, and fresh water deckwash tap
- Sewage:Headhunter Toilet/flush system w/ holding tank
- Fire Suppression:(1) Ansul, Fully-engineered manual release systems
- Bow Fendering:RG Seasight Center Fender Section, Ocean3 Corner Fender Sections
- Side Fendering:Welded Split Pipe
- Cargo Lashing:ISO container sockets and std cargo securing eyes for/aft
- Crew Transfer:Standard South Boats bow boarding platform
- Anchoring:Fortress FX-125 anchor w/ rode
- Lifesaving Equipment: OFE (Owner Furnished Equipment)
- Windows: Sea Glaze Marine Windows Ltd
- Doors:Sea Glaze Marine Windows Ltd
- Seats:Cabin: (12) Seat Design Co. suspension seats on aluminum storage pedestals.
- Wheelhouse: (2) Seat Design Co. suspension seats on aluminum storage pedestals.
- Galley Unit:FRP Standard galley unit, complete with drawers, SS sink, mini fridge/freezer, and microwave.
- Mess Area:L shaped settee with table
- Paint System:International paint and Orca Maritime Vinyl
- Interior Finish:Walls & Ceiling laminated light weight composite panels. Floors are sound dampening "sandwich" panels, laminated with Lonseal decking.