JANUARY 18, 2016 — Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Inc., Panama City, FL, recently delivered the reverse tractor tug Archie T. Higgins to Bisso Offshore, LLC (E.N. Bisso & Son, Inc.).
On arrival in Louisiana and at the mouth of the Mississippi River, the vessel went right to work escorting its first ship northbound to New Orleans.
The vessel is is the fourth 96 ft reverse tractor tug design delivered by Eastern Shipbuilding to Bisso Offshore since 2007. All are based on the same Z-drive tug design provided by Jensen Maritime Consultants of Seattle, WA.
The previous three Bisso Offshore tugs constructed and delivered by Eastern were the Josephine Anne, Beverly B. and Elizabeth.
Archibald (Archie) Thomas Higgins, Jr.
This latest vessel is named to honor the late Archibald (Archie) Thomas Higgins, Jr. who helped lead the company's operations from 1973 until 1995. Mr. Higgins also served on the Board of Directors of E.N. Bisso and Son until the time of his death.
The Archie T. Higgins (ESG Hull #176) has the following characteristics:
Dimensions (Overall): 96' x 34' x 14'-9"
- Total Horsepower: 4,260 HP @ 1,600 RPM
- Main Engines: (2) Caterpillar 3516C (A rating) Tier 3 EPA certified marine propulsion diesel engines
- Main Propulsion: (2) Z-Drives US205 P-18 Rolls Royce with Shafting, Bearings and Propellers
- Main Generators: (2) John Deere 4045AFM85 Tier 3 EPA certified Marine Auxiliary Diesel Generator Set, each rated at 99 kW @ 1,800 RPM
- Firefighting: (1) Caterpillar C18 Tier 3 EPA certified with (1) FFS Nijhuis 5,284 GPM Pump and (1) InMar/FFS 1200 lb duel flow monitor with a 400 ft throw.
- Hawser Winch: (1) Markey Machinery, Inc. Model DEPCF-42 Single Drum 40HP Electric Escort Hawser Winch
- Classification: ABS Loadline Only
- Flag: United States of America