JANUARY 4, 2016 — The U.S. Coast Guard this morning issued an update on the river closures, restrictions and advisories put in place in response to floods in the Midwest.
The following Coast Guard sectors have issued closures or restrictions:
Coast Guard Sector Upper Mississippi River:
- The Coast Guard Captain of the Port has reopened the Mississippi River surrounding the St. Louis Harbor from mile marker 179 to mile marker 185. Vessels operating in this area must be in compliance with horsepower and barge restrictions in accordance with the Western Rivers Waterways Action Plan.
- Illinois River closed between mile markers 0 to 110 from Hardin, Illinois to Beardstown, Illinois. No recreational or commercial traffic is authorized to transit the river.
- The Missouri River is open to vessel traffic.
- The Coast Guard urges mariners to monitor VHF-FM channels 16 and 22 for any changes to the river.
- For more details on the closures set in place by Sector Upper Mississippi River call the command center at 314-269-2610.
Coast Guard Sector Ohio Valley:
- Restrictions on Mississippi River from mile marker 110, near Chester Illinois, to mile marker 34, near Billings Landing, Missouri.
- For more details on the restrictions set in place by Sector Ohio Valley call the command center at 1-800-253-7465.
- The Coast Guard continues to work with the Army Corps of Engineers to monitor the integrity of the levee systems in Ohio Valley and around the Cape Girardeau region. Once it is deemed safe, the Upper Mississippi River from mile marker 34 to 110 will be re-opened to commercial traffic.
Coast Guard Sector Lower Mississippi River:
- High water safety advisory on Lower Mississippi River from mile marker 869, near Caruthersville, Missouri, to mile marker 303 near Natchez, Mississippi.
- Safety zone between mile markers 737 and 734 on the Lower Mississippi River.
- For more details on the restrictions set in place by Sector Lower Mississippi River call the command center at 901-521-4824.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans:
- High water towing limitations near Morgan City for vessels heading southbound with a length no greater than 600 feet.
- For more details on the limitations call Morgan City Vessel Traffic Services at 985-380-5374.