The American Salvage Association (ASA) has established an Education Committee committed to promoting general maritime industry interest with a focus on marine salvage and to help develop maritime industry expertise through interactive experience with ASA salvage professionals.
The committee’s goal is to support career development in all maritime disciplines inclusive of, but not limited to, the development of both licensed and unlicensed seafarers, encouragement for licensed officers to reach senior officer status and to gain experience at sea. For non-seafarers, the promotion of math, sciences, engineering, naval architecture, diving, environmental sciences, robotics, marine insurance, maritime law, ocean engineering, accounting, logistics, and other related fields is a focus of the committee.
Additionally, ASA’s Education Committee intends to establish a charter membership in ASA, at no charge, for students under the age of 30 to allow for networking opportunities within industry, internships, and attendance at industry events.
The ASA Education Committee is planning the creation of a foundation and/or scholarship fund that would assist students pursuing goals consistent with the goals of the committee in furthering their education.
“The creation of the ASA Education Committee is a very welcome development for the association. The future of our maritime salvage industry lies with young maritime students who will surely benefit from the shared expertise of ASA’s members, and through educational scholarships to help them continue their studies,” said ASA President Mauricio Garrido.
March 30, 2011
- 2011-06-06 - American Salvage Association relocates offices
- 2012-03-27 - Salvage of capsized tug in dry dock successful
- 2012-03-29 - Resolve completes Sri Lanka wreck removal project
- 2012-05-23 - Rena salvage operations continue
- 2012-10-31 - New Crowley tug assists stranded Cuban boxship
- 2012-11-28 - Resolve completes Jireh wreck removal
- 2012-12-04 - Donjon pumps play vital part in Sandy response
- 2012-12-14 - Titan Salvage opens depot in Cairns, Australia
- 2012-12-17 - Captain Dennis Brand rejoins Titan Salvage
- 2013-02-05 - Crowley and Titan wrap up Hurricane Sandy response efforts
- 2013-02-05 - Smit awarded contract for grounded minesweeper
- 2013-02-07 - Titan Salvage makes VP appointment
- 2013-03-04 - Resolve and FDNY sign marine fire response agreement
- 2013-03-27 - Patrick Keenan joins Titan Salvage
- 2013-04-12 - Inland Salvage completes salvage of jack-up in GoM
- 2013-04-24 - Titan refloats grounded box ship from U.K’s Farne Islands
- 2013-05-16 - New regs for Non-Tank Vessel Response Plans near release