HARLEY MARINE GULF A Harley Marine Services Company Location: Houston, Texas
Please apply at: http://harleymarine.com/companies-jobs.asp
We are a highly safe, environmentally responsible, efficient, and customer service oriented company in the marine services business. We strive to exceed our customer’s expectations, maintain a good standard of living for our employees, and improve the communities in which we live and operate.
As a result of our strategic focus on safety, environmental protection, and customer service, Harley Marine continues to be one of the fastest growing marine transportation businesses and leading providers of marine transportation services.
Harley Marine Services, Inc. (HMS) is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free work place. HMS companies have established an outstanding reputation for quality. When looking at the success of a company, one cannot help but also acknowledge the employees. When people feel valued, they produce valuable work; when you are committed to them, they will be committed to you. These are the principles used at HMS. HMS is gifted with a wealth of talented individuals who have extensive experience in the field. Their experience and commitment serve as great driving forces to meeting the mission statement.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Oversee marine operations of HMG to insure adherence to company policies and procedures. Port Captain directly supervises the tug and barge personnel. Develop marine operations and cost control program optimizing the performance of the company. Hire, train and evaluate marine personnel on a consistent basis. Manage company-training programs for seagoing personnel. Produce monthly operating reports outlining the status of training programs, day to day operations of the vessels, and other operation issues to both the Director of Marine Operations and General Manager. Assist with crew scheduling and vessel dispatch. Assist in new project development as directed by Director of Marine Operations, but not limited to, interfacing with potential customers, vendors, and regulatory bodies.
- Train & evaluate HMS Captains, Mates, and seagoing personnel.
- Recruitment of marine personnel.
- Develop & administer operating & cost control procedures on company vessels.
- Assist in new project development.
- Operate company vessels as requested.
- Incident and spill free operations.
- Prompt and correct response to operating situations.
- Training and professional development of marine personnel.
- Safety record of vessels and crew.
- Timely performance reviews of marine personnel.
- Assistance in development of company procedures specific to operating area.
- Adherence and understanding of Harley Marine Services operating policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- USCG Master of Towing License-Near Coastal or Oceans endorsement preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Extensive knowledge of tugboat and oil transportation industry.
- Knowledge of tug and barge maintenance systems and equipment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel applications.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all sensitive materials and communications.
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no guidance.
- Ability to understand and execute complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to interface with others using courtesy, tact, and good judgment.
- Must be physically fit enough to board barges and tugs at sea and in port.
- Must be able to read, speak, write, type, and understand English in person and over the telephone.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with tank barge towing operations, ship assist operations, tanker escort and terminal/refinery operations.
JOB CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT:
- Normal office hours are 8 am to 5 pm, M – F.
- Perform performance evaluations of licensed personnel while onboard underway vessels.
- Willing to travel to ports throughout area of operations.
- Takes communications 24 hours a day, including weekends, concerning changes in schedules and conditions.
- Capable of making decisions and giving directions to facilitate prompt service delivery.
- Frequently required to board tugs, barges, and ships, at dock or at anchor in all weather conditions and at all hours.
- 5 years at sea on tugboats, tankers, or oil barges or equivalent military experience.
- 5 years of increasingly responsible management in maritime industry.
- Four year college education in Maritime or related studies; or equivalent experience.
- USCG license and PIC endorsement on Merchant Mariner Document.
- HAZWOPER training.
- First Aid training.
- CPR training.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Perform in Harley Marine Services Incident Command System as assigned.