MARCH 19, 2013 — Siemens Industry, Inc. has been awarded the contract to supply its Blue Drive diesel electric solution for the two platform supply vessels that Leevac Shipyards Jennings LLC, Jennings, LA, is building for Aries Marine, Inc. of Lafayette, LA (see earlier story).
"The demands placed on the onboard systems and technologies of today's PSVs are high as these vessels are specialized and tailored based upon particular machine layouts, power requirements, automation processes, climatic conditions and more," says David Grucza, marine business manager, Siemens Industry, Inc. "Siemens is proud to partner with Aries Corporation, and we look forward to development and commissioning of another successful marine project."
The two 270 ft PSVs will be outfitted with Siemens Blue multi-drive, low-voltage system. Siemens will improve reliability due to fail-safe features that help the vessel owner lower maintenance costs as well as increase efficiency and operational ease for the vessel and crew. The ship's advanced design will also decrease fuel consumption, resulting in reduced emissions of greenhouse gases.
Siemens will provide the main generators, main propulsion and thruster motors, switchboards, power management system and its IAS400 automation system for alarm, monitoring and control functions, in addition to a unique, fully integrated Siemens electrical FiFi 1 system.
As part of a Sole Source Vendor solution, Siemens is responsible for designing, engineering, project managing and commissioning the diesel electric and automation system.
Designed by Leevac Design Services for Aries and certified by the American Bureau of Shipping, each PSV will be 270 ft long and 56 ft wide. Both ships will be capable of speeds of more than 14 knots and are designed to carry a variety of cargo in below-deck tanks, including large quantities of fuel, water, drilling fluids, cement or mud as well as casing, drill pipes and tubing in open-decks.
The vessels are slated for delivery in September and December 2014 respectively.
Aries Marine Corporation, a privately held Louisiana Corporation, was formed in early 1981 by Dwight S. Ramsay to own and operate self-elevating workboats and supply vessels in the Gulf of Mexico.
Marine Log News
- 2011-07-19 - OSD to design seismic support vessel for Bourbon
- 2011-07-28 - Campbell Shipping orders fuel-efficient bulkers at Tsuji
- 2011-09-09 - Otto Marine books newbuilding orders for AHTS duo
- 2012-04-18 - Liberian flag benefits as Greek fleet adds to tonnage total
- 2012-01-27 - Bollinger Shipyards President and CEO honored by Signal Mutual
- 2012-02-06 - LEEVAC launches third lightering support vessel for AET
- 2012-01-31 - Wärtsilä completes Hamworthy acquisition
- 2012-03-22 - BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards seeks to diversify production
- 2012-05-09 - Damen delivers firefighting vessel to Bremen
- 2012-05-16 - Cargotec books contracts to equip 15 OSV's building in China
- 2012-05-16 - Conrad Industries reports on first quarter and backlog
- 2012-05-22 - BMT Nigel Gee to provide vessel designs to Estonia's BLRT Marketex
- 2012-07-23 - Atlantic Offshore orders FSVs from Spain's Zamonaka
- 2012-08-02 - First of new series of Platform Supply Vessels for Brazil
- 2012-08-09 - Bollinger appoints Skip Bowen as VP Government Relations
- 2012-08-10 - Bordelon Marine builds series of new PSVs
- 2012-09-21 - USCG exercises option with Bollinger for six more FRCs
- 2012-10-01 - NSRP to fund 12 new shipbuilding R&D projects
- 2012-10-05 - Damen-design Platform Supply Vessels for Brazil
- 2012-10-10 - Damen Shipyards to build new generation SAR vessel
- 2012-10-10 - Nam Cheong sells two build-for-stock PSV newbuilds
- 2012-11-07 - Gondan launches PSV for Østensjø Rederi
- 2012-11-19 - ABS in strategic cooperation with Taiwan shipbuilder
- 2012-11-21 - Bollinger delivers fourth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2012-11-23 - BMT Nigel Gee WSVs launched by three shipyards
- 2012-11-27 - Stolt Tankers orders five from Chinese shipyards
- 2012-11-29 - Damen to build rescue ship to support RAN sub fleet
- 2012-12-04 - Basic Offshore picks new Havyard design for PSV newbuilds
- 2012-12-07 - VT Halter Marine breaks ground for new ship repair facility
- 2012-12-21 - Fincantieri to acquire STX OSV
- 2012-12-21 - LR gives approval in principle to LNG-fueled bulker
- 2013-01-04 - Frontline 2012 said to ink LOIs for bulker newbuilds
- 2013-01-23 - Fincantieri completes its acquisition of STX OSV
- 2013-01-31 - Federal judge throws out U.S. suit against Bollinger
- 2013-02-05 - Detyens awarded $8.45 million for T-AKE 5 drydocking
- 2013-02-08 - Damen acquires Dutch ship repairer Shipdock
- 2013-02-12 - Harvey Gulf gets $100 million charter for newbuild
- 2013-02-20 - EC unveils new strategy for shipbuilding
- 2013-02-25 - Vancouver Shipyards Co. gets preliminary NSPS contracts
- 2013-03-07 - Scorpio Tankers continues newbuilding spree
- 2013-03-18 - Vancouver Shipyards starts OFSV design work
- 2013-03-19 - Jackson Offshore opts for two more PSVs at BAE
- 2013-03-21 - GAO reports on impacts of Jones Act on Puerto Rico trade
- 2013-03-25 - Bibby COO warns: Eco ships won't arrive overnight
- 2013-03-25 - Bollinger delivers fifth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2013-03-27 - ClassNK approves duplex stainless steel applications
- 2013-03-27 - Kotug to add four new Rotor Tugs to its fleet
- 2013-03-29 - Sentinel Marine orders ERRVs for North Sea at Nam Cheong
- 2013-04-02 - AdvanFort adds to business development team
- 2013-04-05 - Damen to tackle South African DAFF fleet woes
- 2013-04-12 - Leevac wins Tidewater PSV contract
- 2013-04-19 - Damen books big Bahamas contract
- 2013-04-26 - Viking invests in new Singapore innovation hub
- 2013-04-29 - Kuma Shipping to build two PSVs to new Ulstein design
- 2013-05-09 - Rolls-Royce books 100th drillship propulsion order
- 2013-05-15 - Conrad increases net and adds to backlog
- 2013-05-20 - MacGregor wins offshore winch contracts