MARCH 13, 2013 — The Coast Guard is responding to an allision between a tug pushing a barge and a pipeline near Bayou Perot 30 miles south of New Orleans, Tuesday. A massive fire broke out following the allision.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans watchstanders received a report that the 47-foot tug Shanon E. Settoon (owned by Pierre Part, LA, headquartered Settoon Towing) was pushing a 154-foot oil barge when it allided with a pipeline 6 p.m., Tuesday.
According to media reports, the barge was carrying 2,215 barrels of crude oil. ES&H has been hired as the oil spill response organization.
All crew members were able to exit the tug; the captain reportedly suffered second to third-degree degree burns.
WWL TV reported last night that, while all four people on the tug had been accounted for, a man was being treated at the West Jefferson Medical Center where officials said he had suffered burns to over 75 percent of his body and would be be transferred to the Baton Rouge General Burn Facility. He is in critical condition.
A second person on the tug boat hurt his side when he was knocked off the boat.
WWL TV also reported that the U.S. Coast Guard would not try to extinguish the large barge and pipeline fire that broke out.
The TV station reported officials as saying "the water is too shallow and the fire is too intense to put out."
Other media reported that the Jefferson Parish Fire Department had equipment that can reach the blaze and was attempting to put it out.
AP reports a Coast Guard official as saying that the pipeline is owned by Chevron and that the company has isolated the pipeline from other mains, "so only whatever was in the pipeline will be able to burn."
- 2011-06-16 - Kirby confirms second quarter earnings guidance
- 2012-04-19 - Ingram to buy U.S. United Barge Line from United Maritime Group
- 2012-03-25 - Intracoastal Iron Works busy building towboats
- 2012-03-27 - Salvage of capsized tug in dry dock successful
- 2012-03-27 - Bollinger Shipyards team on Bouchard ATB conversion
- 2012-05-12 - United Maritime Group to sell its bulk terminal unit in $215 million deal
- 2012-09-20 - Barges play key role in Virginia submarine program
- 2012-10-02 - Crowley awarded $16.5 million MSC charter for ATB
- 2012-10-09 - Waller LNG ATB gets ABS approval in principle
- 2012-10-09 - Vulcan Materials christens new tugboat
- 2012-10-10 - Low sulfur fuel capacity increased in Colombian port
- 2012-10-11 - International Shipholding buys Jones Act bulker operator
- 2012-10-18 - VT Halter Marine delivers ATB tug to Bouchard
- 2012-11-01 - Rand Logistics puts Jones Act ATB into service
- 2012-11-12 - Crowley tug crew makes heroic San Francisco Bay rescue
- 2012-11-12 - Wilson Sons to build 12 Damen ASD tugs for its fleet
- 2012-11-20 - Signet Maritime to add another Robert Allan-designed tug
- 2012-11-28 - Kirby to acquire Penn Maritime for $295 million
- 2012-12-12 - Vigor Marine replaces bow of 80,000 bbl barge
- 2012-12-17 - Kirby completes Penn Maritime acquisition
- 2012-12-17 - TY Offshore launches 30,000 bbl FMT oil barge
- 2012-12-19 - ACL to transport Canadian crude on U.S. waterways
- 2013-01-02 - Mississippi shutdown looms
- 2013-01-03 - Signet Shipbuilding delivers deck barge
- 2013-01-03 - Crowley makes VP appointment
- 2013-01-08 - Ingram Barge promotes Robert Barker
- 2013-01-09 - USCG and NTSB probe OSG tanker allision with Bay Bridge
- 2013-01-11 - Tanker that struck Bay Bridge is cleared to sail
- 2013-01-22 - US Fab to build deck barge for Harley Marine Alaska service
- 2013-01-23 - Damen delivers Stan Tug to Norwegian shipbuilder
- 2013-01-29 - Vane Line wins $13.1 million TRANSCOM contract
- 2013-01-31 - Kirby reports increased fourth quarter earnings
- 2013-02-05 - Barge Master platform completes offshore testing
- 2013-02-14 - Bouchard orders 250,000 bbl ATB at VT Halter
- 2013-02-20 - Swiber completes India's first offshore floatover installation
- 2013-02-22 - Jensen Maritime designs Harley tugs and deck barge
- 2013-03-13 - Coast Guard continues to respond to pipeline blaze
- 2013-03-14 - USCG continues response to tug and barge pipeline allision
- 2013-03-21 - Bouchard exercises ATB option at VT Halter
- 2013-03-22 - Nichols launches first of two tractor tugs for Harley
- 2013-03-27 - Kotug to add four new Rotor Tugs to its fleet
- 2013-03-29 - Conrad adds $51.4 million in new business
- 2013-04-01 - Great Lakes Shipyard launches first of two tugboats
- 2013-04-01 - Tanker hits Sarah Long Bridge
- 2013-04-03 - Tanker freed following bridge allision
- 2013-04-10 - Rolls-Royce and Drydocks World sign LNG fueled tug MOU
- 2013-04-24 - Vigor-built barge supports King County ferry operations
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - SEACOR's Fabrikant: "We're very unhappy ..."
- 2013-04-30 - Buksér og Berging orders ASD tug from Vard Braila
- 2013-05-01 - Buckley McAllister elected new Chairman of AWO
- 2013-05-10 - Crowley takes delivery of DP2 ocean tug
- 2013-05-10 - COSCO Zhoushan wins launch barge order
- 2013-05-14 - Marcon brokers sale of 1995-built Alaska tug
- 2013-05-21 - TY launches another 30,000 barrel barge for FMT