FEBRUARY 28, 2013 — "As we look to the horizon, I have great confidence and optimism about where we are today… and where we are headed," said Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Bob Papp yesterday in his annual State of the Coast Guard address.
"Many of you who have been following the news headlines about the economy or the budget, or have listened to me talk about uncertain and stormy seas, may wonder about the source of my confidence and optimism. Well, take a look around you," Admiral Papp told his audience of Coast Guard men and women gathered in the National War College’s Lincoln Auditorium at Fort Lesley J. McNair in Washington, D.C. "It’s you. It’s your shipmates."
"And if you want to know why our men and women inspire that confidence – in spite of the challenges we are facing – look no farther than our response to Hurricane Sandy just four months ago," said Admiral Papp.
You can read a transcript Admiral Papp's remarks HERE
Also released yesterday was the Commandant's Situation Report 2013. You can access that HERE
Marine Log News
- 2012-04-18 - Mary E. Landry appointed Coast Guard's Director, Incident Management and Preparedness Policy.
- 2012-03-30 - Electrical fire delays patrol by 49-year-old USCG cutter
- 2012-05-18 - LoBiondo voices concern about Coast Guard budget
- 2012-08-10 - Baker Lyman, GL announce strategic alliance
- 2012-11-02 - Coast Guard reopens Port of NY/NJ on limited basis
- 2012-11-21 - Bollinger delivers fourth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2012-12-05 - House passes Coast Guard Authorization Act
- 2013-01-04 - Schuster to Chair House T&I Committee
- 2013-01-22 - USCG cuts random drug test rate for crew members
- 2013-02-12 - USCG and NTSB to investigate Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-03-01 - Peene Werft delivers Swedish Coast Guard vessel
- 2013-04-30 - USCG issues updated safety alert on surge protectors
- 2013-05-01 - USCG awards Huntington Ingalls contract for NSC 6
- 2013-05-06 - Coast Guard identifies causes of Stratton corrosion
- 2013-05-10 - Detention of bulker: "arbitrary and capricious"