FEBRUARY 11, 2013 — In an update issued at 11.25 a.m. today, Carnival Cruises said that the cruise ship Carnival Triumph remained without propulsion, awaiting the arrival of two tugboats which will tow the ship to Progreso, Mexico, which is the closest port to the ship's current location.
The ship lost power yesterday following an engine room fire that was extinguished by the ship's crew. No injuries were reported. There are 3,143 guests and 1,086 crew on board (see earlier story).
Left and lower on page: Coast Guard photo shows Carnival Triumph seen from Coast Guard cutter Vigorous
Carnival says that the ship has maintained emergency generator power since the fire occurred and the technical team on board has been successful in gradually restoring auxiliary power to operate some basic hotel functions.
Currently, public and cabin toilets are operational in certain sections of the ship, power has been restored to a limited number of elevators, and some power in the Lido dining area is providing for hot coffee and limited hot food service. Guests have been supplied with food and refreshments throughout yesterday and this morning and the ship has supplies on board to last until the vessel returns to port.
Yesterday afternoon, the Carnival Elation rendezvoused with the Carnival Triumph and supplied dinners for the guests on Carnival Triumph, along with additional provisions. Early this afternoon, the Carnival Legend will also be on site to do the same.
In this morning's update, Carnival said that a team consisting of additional technical crew and guest service personnel was en route to the vessel and is expected to arrive via boat later today. U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Vigorous is on site next to the Carnival Triumph and in communication with the ship.
Marine Log News
- 2011-01-25 - Carnival Splendour goes to San Francisco for repairs
- 2011-06-22 - STX France cancels Libya cruise ship contract
- 2011-07-08 - American Cruise Line awarded Glacier Bay contract
- 2012-04-18 - Passengers from disabled Antarctic cruise ship transferred to rescue vessel
- 2012-01-23 - As Concordia death toll rises, EU takes new look at passenger vessel regs
- 2012-01-14 - Three dead in Costa Concordia grounding
- 2012-02-29 - Costa Allegra under tow, with armed security detail on board
- 2012-05-01 - Al Qaeda said to have cruise ships on terror wish list
- 2012-05-10 - Construction of NCL Breakaway class cruise ships moves ahead
- 2012-05-29 - IMO Maritime Safety Committee makes interim recommendations on passenger ship safety
- 2012-06-01 - Carnival takes delivery of Carnival Breeze
- 2012-07-09 - Princess Cruises awards Wärtsilä long term service contract
- 2012-09-07 - Pride of America set for major upgrades
- 2012-09-16 - Electric Boat to work on fire-damaged submarine
- 2012-09-19 - TUI Cruise newbuild to have ABB energy management package
- 2012-09-20 - Cruise industry adopts new lifeboat loading policy
- 2012-10-03 - STX Finland to get order for third Oasis class cruise ship?
- 2012-10-04 - Eniram releases study on cruise ship fouling
- 2012-10-10 - Meyer Werft delivers Celebrity Reflection
- 2012-10-18 - Costa Concordia hearings continue
- 2012-10-26 - Royal Caribbean confirms it is negotiating for third Oasis
- 2012-10-26 - Crowley christens first ocean class tugs
- 2012-10-27 - Carnival orders two new class cruise ships
- 2012-11-05 - TUI Cruises exercises newbuild option at STX Finland
- 2012-11-06 - Wärtsilä to power 14 Kuwait tugboats
- 2012-11-19 - USCG and NTSB join Costa Concordia investigation
- 2012-11-21 - Metso to refurbish cruise ship's automation system
- 2012-11-23 - Designers select Bolidt for Breakaway
- 2012-11-26 - Paris MOU set to start crack down on passenger ships
- 2012-11-28 - Veteran cruise ship starts new life in China
- 2012-12-05 - MSC agrees new cruise passenger safety measures
- 2012-12-07 - GE Marine wins orders for 16 engines
- 2012-12-10 - Sembawang Shipyard gets Royal Caribbean contract
- 2012-12-11 - Fincantieri places first Costa Diadema module in dock
- 2012-12-17 - Kirby completes Penn Maritime acquisition
- 2012-12-18 - TUI Cruises newbuilds to have KONE elevators and escalators
- 2012-12-20 - Cruise industry supports Paris MOU campaign
- 2012-12-28 - STX France wins order for Royal Caribbean's third Oasis
- 2013-01-17 - Pride of America to get exhaust gas scrubbers
- 2013-02-11 - Engine room fire disables Carnival Triumph
- 2013-02-12 - Carnival Triumph to be towed to Mobile, not Mexico
- 2013-02-12 - USCG and NTSB to investigate Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-14 - Carnival ups compensation for Triumph passengers
- 2013-02-15 - Carnival Triumph towed to BAE Ship Repair
- 2013-02-19 - Fuel oil leak was source of Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-19 - Seabourn in discussions with shipyards on newbuild
- 2013-02-25 - Norwegian Breakaway is set for float out
- 2013-02-26 - Costa Concordia plaintiffs claim "a huge victory"
- 2013-02-27 - Meyer Werft floats out Norwegian Breakaway
- 2013-03-07 - Meyer Werft: Shipyard fire won't delay Getaway delivery
- 2013-03-07 - Big cruise ship has small carbon footprint
- 2013-03-14 - Carnival Cruises flies Dream passengers back to U.S.
- 2013-03-13 - Carnival Cruises looks at lessons learned from Triumph fire
- 2013-03-15 - Vantage christens its latest river cruise ship
- 2013-03-15 - As Legend skips a port, Carnival reports on first quarter
- 2013-03-18 - Schumer demands cruise passenger "bill of rights"
- 2013-03-19 - Carnival delays return to service of Triumph and Sunshine
- 2013-03-27 - Fincantieri floats out Regal Princess
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-01 - Great Lakes Shipyard launches first of two tugboats
- 2013-04-04 - Carnival Triumph blown from moorings at repair yard
- 2013-04-11 - Smit and SAAM plan joint harbor towage operation in Americas
- 2013-04-12 - MHI uses induction straightening on cruise newbuilds
- 2013-04-23 - Fox News appearance by AMO's Bethel draws criticism
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - Adventure cruise ship drydocks at Lloyd Werft
- 2013-04-30 - M.E.B.A. says cruising does employ U.S. Merchant Mariners
- 2013-05-01 - Hapag-Lloyd Cruises takes delivery of Europa 2
- 2013-05-08 - Senator Rockefeller asks cruise lines about safety