JANUARY 31, 2013 — General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp., Groton, CT, is being awarded a $41,581,130 firm-fixed-priced modification to the previously awarded contract (N00024-12-C-4301) to exercise the option for the execution work necessary to prepare and accomplish maintenance and modernization work of the fiscal year 2013 drydocking selected restricted availability of the USS Hartford (SSN 768).
This scope of work encompasses required maintenance activities necessary to maintain full unrestricted operation of the submarine, as well as upgrades and modernization efforts required to ensure the submarine is operating at full technical capacity. Work will be performed in Groton, CT (95 percent), and Quonset Point, RI (5 percent), and is expected to be completed by July 2013. Funding in the amount of a $41,581,130 will be obligated at time of award, and will expire at the end of the current fiscal year.
The applicable funds are fiscal year 2013 Operations and Maintenance, Navy.
The Naval Sea Systems Command, Washington, D.C., is the contracting activity.
NOTE: USS Hartford has run up quite a repair bill during its lifetime. Back in 2003, it grounded near La Maddalena in Sardinia with such force that rudders, sonar and other electronic equipment were severely damaged. Then in 2009 it collided with amphibious transport dock USS New Orleans (LPD-18) in the Strait of Hormuz, suffering extensive damage. The final repair cost after that incident was reportedly $120 million by the time Hartford returned to duty in February, 2011.
Marine Log News
- 2012-09-20 - Barges play key role in Virginia submarine program
- 2012-10-28 - Tenth Virginia-class submarine christened at NNS
- 2012-11-12 - Newport News Shipbuilding launches SSN 783
- 2012-11-17 - Electric Boat gets $88.8 million more for Virginia class work
- 2012-12-26 - Electric Boat gets $1.8 billion for SSBN (X) work
- 2013-03-01 - Electric Boat awarded SUBSAFE contract
- 2013-05-07 - NNS on track to deliver SSN 783 ahead of schedule
- 2013-06-06 - Newport News delivers final Block II Virginia class sub