JANUARY 22, 2013 — US Fab, a Vigor Industrial company, will soon begin construction on a 250 ft x70 ft x15 ft 8 in deck barge for Harley Marine Services at Vigor's Swan Island shipyard in Portland, Oregon.
This purpose built barge was designed by Jensen Maritime Consultants to transport a wide variety of cargo between Dutch Harbor and Akutan, Alaska, making up to three runs per week.
"Having the ability to collaborate with Jensen and Harley during the initial production design for this barge, will allow us to have maximum efficiency during construction," said Bryan Nichols, Sales Manager at Vigor Industrial. "We were able to combine shipbuilding best practices with Jensen's considerable design expertise and Harley's requirements to finalize a cost effective, buildable design with quick turnaround."
The barge will be named Iliuliuk Bay, an Aleut name meaning big island. It is designed to house a 230 ton lift capacity Manitowoc 4100 crawler crane. The vessels' unique design features both D-rings to secure containers up to three high as well as eight lashing bars running fore and aft for other cargo such as heavy construction machinery or general equipment.
"We needed a workhorse to replace our existing barge," said Jim Weimer, General Manager of Alaska based Pacific Coast Maritime, a subsidiary of Harley Marine Services. "Having the ability to easily switch back and forth between containers and other cargo will help Harley Marine continue to provide quality and timely marine services to our customers."
- 2011-06-16 - Kirby confirms second quarter earnings guidance
- 2012-04-19 - Ingram to buy U.S. United Barge Line from United Maritime Group
- 2012-03-25 - Intracoastal Iron Works busy building towboats
- 2012-03-27 - Bollinger Shipyards team on Bouchard ATB conversion
- 2012-05-12 - United Maritime Group to sell its bulk terminal unit in $215 million deal
- 2012-09-20 - Barges play key role in Virginia submarine program
- 2012-10-02 - Crowley awarded $16.5 million MSC charter for ATB
- 2012-10-09 - Waller LNG ATB gets ABS approval in principle
- 2012-10-09 - Vulcan Materials christens new tugboat
- 2012-10-10 - Low sulfur fuel capacity increased in Colombian port
- 2012-10-18 - VT Halter Marine delivers ATB tug to Bouchard
- 2012-11-01 - Rand Logistics puts Jones Act ATB into service
- 2012-11-28 - Kirby to acquire Penn Maritime for $295 million
- 2012-12-12 - Vigor Marine replaces bow of 80,000 bbl barge
- 2012-12-17 - Kirby completes Penn Maritime acquisition
- 2012-12-17 - TY Offshore launches 30,000 bbl FMT oil barge
- 2012-12-19 - ACL to transport Canadian crude on U.S. waterways
- 2013-01-02 - Mississippi shutdown looms
- 2013-01-03 - Signet Shipbuilding delivers deck barge
- 2013-01-03 - Crowley makes VP appointment
- 2013-01-08 - Ingram Barge promotes Robert Barker
- 2013-01-29 - Vane Line wins $13.1 million TRANSCOM contract
- 2013-01-31 - Kirby reports increased fourth quarter earnings
- 2013-02-05 - Barge Master platform completes offshore testing
- 2013-02-14 - Bouchard orders 250,000 bbl ATB at VT Halter
- 2013-02-20 - Swiber completes India's first offshore floatover installation
- 2013-02-22 - Jensen Maritime designs Harley tugs and deck barge
- 2013-03-13 - Massive blaze after tug hits pipeline
- 2013-03-13 - Coast Guard continues to respond to pipeline blaze
- 2013-03-14 - USCG continues response to tug and barge pipeline allision
- 2013-03-21 - Bouchard exercises ATB option at VT Halter
- 2013-03-29 - Conrad adds $51.4 million in new business
- 2013-04-24 - Vigor-built barge supports King County ferry operations
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - SEACOR's Fabrikant: "We're very unhappy ..."
- 2013-05-01 - Buckley McAllister elected new Chairman of AWO
- 2013-05-10 - COSCO Zhoushan wins launch barge order