JANUARY 15, 2013 — Maritime industry veteran Captain Jorge Aguirre has announced his retirement from TOTE Services after 33 years with the company.
TOTE Services offers crewing and technical services to meet the needs of commercial, privately owned and U.S. Government vessels. It is one of eight companies operated by Princeton, N.J., based TOTE, Inc., a subsidiary of Saltchuk Resources.
Captain Aguirre spent 16 years at sea, coming ashore with TOTE Services in June of 1980 as a Port Captain at the Philadelphia headquarters of the company, then known as Interocean Management Corporation or IOM. He served as Manager of Operations, then Senior Vice President and in 2001 was made President.
Captain Aguirre has made significant contributions to the industry by lending his experience and interest in vessel safety, protection of the environment and operations to several major oil companies in the production of tanker operations training manuals. He has also been directly involved with the development of training courses for the operation of equipment of special design aboard U.S. Government vessels, including T-ACS (crane ships). He is a Member of the American Bureau of Shipping and the American Petroleum Institute and sits on the Board of the American Cargo Bureau, the Chamber of Shipping of America. He is a trustee of the United Seamen's Service.
Following Captain Aguirre's retirement at the end of this month, TOTE, Inc. Vice President, Retired Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy, Philip H. Greene, Jr. will assume the role of President of TOTE Services.
"I am very grateful to my shipboard and shore side staff that year after year have contributed to make this company successful and to make all us proud of what TOTE, Inc. and Saltchuk represent in the maritime industry," said Captain Aguirre. "Also I would like to thank all colleagues, shipping companies and regulatory bodies for their support. Finally I would like to welcome my successor Admiral Greene. The helm could not be in better hands."
Admiral Greene joined TOTE, Inc. after serving as the eleventh superintendent of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y. and then holding the U.S. Department of Transportation Chair at the National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
Those assigments came after a distinguished 32-year Navy career that included command of two surface combatants, a destroyer squadron and a combined joint task force.
"I would like to thank Jorge for his many years of leadership and expert guidance in placing TOTE Services in the well-respected position it holds in the ship management industry," said Anthony Chiarello, President & CEO of TOTE, Inc. "I would also like to welcome Admiral Greene to his new role as President of TOTE Services. He brings years of leadership and technical expertise to the role which we are confident will help propel TOTE Services to even greater heights."
Marine Log News
- 2011-07-28 - OMERS Private Equity to buy V.Group
- 2011-10-17 - Thome Ship Management appoints Ostenfeldt MD
- 2012-04-27 - Wärtsilä donates controllable pitch propulsion system to USMMA, Kings Point
- 2012-07-05 - Kings Point welcomes Class of 2016
- 2012-06-26 - Colonel Jim Helis to be new Kings Point superintendent
- 2012-08-21 - USMMA gets "space" ship for training
- 2012-10-12 - InterManager names new leadership team
- 2012-11-14 - Kings Point names new deputy superintendent
- 2012-12-12 - Four Kings Pointers awarded Crowley Scholarships
- 2012-12-13 - Craig Perciavalle takes helm at Austal USA
- 2013-01-03 - Crowley makes VP appointment
- 2013-01-29 - Kings Point welcomes new Deputy Superintendent
- 2013-02-21 - AEU adds merchant mariner to loss control staff
- 2013-03-04 - Crowley named honorary USMMA alumnus
- 2013-03-25 - Bibby COO warns: Eco ships won't arrive overnight
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-24 - DoT IG asked to review USMMA sexual harassment policies
- 2013-04-25 - Alumni Association faces eviction from Kings Point campus
- 2013-05-02 - Judge stays Alumni Association eviction from Kings Point
- 2013-05-07 - V. Ships Leisure to be Titanic II ship manager
- 2013-05-09 - Court upholds Alumni Association eviction from USMMA campus
- 2013-05-15 - Alumni Association leaves Kings Point campus