JANUARY 9, 2013 — New York City media report that as many as 50 people have been hurt after a Seastreak ferry, the Seastreak Wall Street, slammed into the mooring as it was coming in to Pier 11 at South Street and Gouverneur Lane. Police and fire officials said 30 to 50 people were hurt, one critically with head injuries.
Passenger Richard Correra told CBS 2 that all of a sudden "the boat felt like it smashed into a wall' and that "dozens of passengers got thrown out of their seats, got thrown forward. Some were heading downstairs and just flew down the stairs and hit their heads on various poles and walls."
CBS says that a gash could be seen on a front corner of the boat and that "it looked like it had been ripped open like a tin can."
An NTSB Go Team is on its way to the accident scene. The NTSB says it will be the lead investigative agency in this accident.
NTSB marine safety investigator Morgan Turrell is leading a team of 12 as the investigator-in-charge. NTSB Board Member Robert L. Sumwalt is accompanying the team and will serve as the principal spokesman during the on-scene phase of the investigation.
Seastreak issued the following statement:
We regret to report that the SeaStreak Wall Street struck Pier 11 near Wall Street while docking this morning at approximately 8:45 a.m.
The vessel's crew immediately initiated emergency response procedures and authorities responded quickly due to the location. A number of passengers were injured. Some were treated by first responders and some have been taken to local hospitals.
Seastreak's incident response team is on scene. Company management is working closely with emergency responders, including the New York Fire and Police departments to treat the injured and to respond to the situation.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those that were injured. Seastreak LLC will work closely with the Federal, State and local authorities to determine the cause of the accident.
Further information will be distributed as it becomes available.
Marine Log News
- 2011-08-16 - Congressman says Port Townsend to get $1.3 million for ferry
- 2012-04-23 - STX Rauma lays keel for double-ended ferry
- 2012-03-08 - Cargo ship master faces alcohol charge after collision with Stena ferry
- 2012-02-28 - Art Anderson Associates hires Sean McKee as Marine Electrical Engineer
- 2012-03-26 - Aluminium Marine delivers 195-passenger ferry
- 2012-05-25 - NTSB makes ferry safety recommendations
- 2012-07-29 - Voith keeps things moving at 2012 Olympics
- 2012-08-16 - CMAL to study hydrogen fuel cell applications for green ferries
- 2012-09-06 - Mat-Su Borough puts Susitna up for sale
- 2012-10-08 - MHI confirms effectiveness of air lube system on ferry
- 2012-10-19 - Euroferries charters Austal trimaran for new cross channel service
- 2012-10-31 - Ferry service impacted by Hurricane Sandy
- 2012-11-20 - Danish yard delivers double-ended 50 m ferry
- 2012-11-26 - NY Water Taxi to operate new ferry service
- 2012-11-26 - Lauro and Rolls-Royce team to develop gas fueled ferry
- 2012-12-03 - Wärtsilä gets equipment order for LNG-fueled Quebec ferry
- 2012-12-21 - NYC to continue East River Ferry service
- 2012-12-28 - Kvichak Marine delivers Lake Havasu ferry
- 2013-01-09 - Seastreak ferry remains docked as investigations start
- 2013-01-10 - Seastreak ferry had undergone major conversion
- 2013-01-10 - Voith Schneider Propellers ordered for Canadian lake ferry
- 2013-01-11 - EU funding for LNG bunkering vessel project
- 2013-01-12 - NTSB briefing on Seastreak ferry incident investigation
- 2013-01-16 - LNG fueled cruise ferry has Navis DP
- 2013-01-17 - New head of Alaska ferry system
- 2013-01-21 - Cruise ferry is first ship to gain new BV notation
- 2013-01-29 - EU funds study of barriers to LNG fueling
- 2013-01-29 - Mat-Su Borough tries to give Susitna away
- 2013-02-10 - BHC lone bidder for Salem ferry service
- 2013-02-17 - Virginia DOT issues RFP for new ferry design
- 2013-02-19 - Bangladesh shipbuilder delivers ferry to Danish owner
- 2013-02-20 - USCG marks temporary route for Hatteras - Ocracoke ferry
- 2013-02-25 - MTN Satellite offers new broadband solution
- 2013-03-06 - Nova Scotia to make new effort to find ferry operator
- 2013-03-13 - Canada TSB issues report on 2011 BC Ferries' hard docking
- 2013-03-14 - Wärtsilä wins Viking Grace maintenance agreement
- 2013-03-19 - Wesmar to supply bow thrusters for Australian ferry
- 2013-03-22 - Battery powered ferry to have Azipull propulsion
- 2013-03-22 - Coal-burning S.S. Badger gets a two-season reprieve
- 2013-03-26 - Latest 112 m Incat wave piercer heads for Denmark
- 2013-03-29 - Stockholm offers vessel-to-vessel LNG bunkering
- 2013-04-01 - Susitna attracts just one bid
- 2013-04-08 - Indonesia releases Skaugen vessel after six months detention
- 2013-04-11 - FHWA budget seeks $67 million for ferry boat program
- 2013-04-18 - Delivery of LNG-fueled cruise ferry delayed
- 2013-04-18 - Wärtsilä "cautious" on shipbuilding outlook
- 2013-04-24 - Vigor-built barge supports King County ferry operations
- 2013-04-30 - Incat Crowther designs new Rocket for Sydney Harbor
- 2013-05-17 - Celebrating a milestone: EBDG marks 25th anniversary
- 2013-05-21 - Interferry hails MEPC decision on EEDI