DECEMBER 4, 2012 — The response to Hurricane Sandy called for a lot of pumping capacity and a large part of it came from Donjon Marine Co. Inc., Hillside, N.J.
Donjon currently holds the U.S. Navy Salvage and Related Services contract for the North Atlantic zone. The Navy provided support to the stricken region following a request by the Army Corps of Engineers. By mobilizing its equipment, Donjon was able to provide "soup to nuts" support to the Navy response.
It provided over 80,000 gallons per minute of pumping capability within 36 hours of the initial call. In addition, Donjon mobilized a team of over 50 salvage personnel to place and operate the pumping and support equipment. The Donjon team worked alongside many other responders from the Corps of Engineers, Navy, Port Authority of NY & NJ, the NYC police and fire departments, as well as representatives of various New York City transportation organizations.
The effort showed how a well-organized salvage service provider, with well-maintained equipment and experienced personnel, can provide timely emergency services and related support when needed.
John Witte, Jr., executive vice president of Donjon, said: "In spite of difficult conditions at home, the Donjon team mobilized and worked tirelessly throughout the emergency period. All the Donjon staff and subcontractors were a credit to themselves, Donjon and the communities they helped and supported."
Marine Log News
- 2011-03-30 - American Salvage Association establishes Education Committee
- 2011-06-06 - American Salvage Association relocates offices
- 2012-03-27 - Salvage of capsized tug in dry dock successful
- 2012-03-29 - Resolve completes Sri Lanka wreck removal project
- 2012-05-23 - Rena salvage operations continue
- 2012-07-09 - IHC Merwede subsidiary changes name to IHC Sealing Solutions
- 2012-10-31 - New Crowley tug assists stranded Cuban boxship
- 2012-11-28 - Resolve completes Jireh wreck removal
- 2012-12-14 - Titan Salvage opens depot in Cairns, Australia
- 2012-12-17 - Captain Dennis Brand rejoins Titan Salvage
- 2013-02-05 - Crowley and Titan wrap up Hurricane Sandy response efforts
- 2013-02-05 - Smit awarded contract for grounded minesweeper
- 2013-02-07 - Titan Salvage makes VP appointment
- 2013-03-04 - Resolve and FDNY sign marine fire response agreement
- 2013-03-27 - Patrick Keenan joins Titan Salvage
- 2013-04-12 - Inland Salvage completes salvage of jack-up in GoM
- 2013-04-24 - Titan refloats grounded box ship from U.K’s Farne Islands
- 2013-05-16 - New regs for Non-Tank Vessel Response Plans near release
- 2013-06-12 - Resolve opens new London office