NOVEMBER 9, 2012 — Captain Michael Wiegand, the commanding officer of the Navy's Southwest Regional Maintenance Center in San Diego was relieved of command yesterday by Commander, Navy Regional Maintenance Center, due to "loss of confidence in his ability to command."
This decision stems from an investigation into contracting improprieties at Southwest Regional Maintenance Center. Further investigations into this matter continue, reports Navy News Service
Capt. Mike Fulgham, currently assigned as executive officer, Southwest Regional Maintenance Center, will be the acting commander until a relieving commanding officer is assigned.
Capt. Wiegand, who took command in July 2010, will be reassigned to administrative duty.
Headquartered at Naval Station San Diego, Southwest Regional Maintenance Center provides intermediate level maintenance support to more than 100 surface ships and submarines, of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.
According to media reports, Capt. Wiegand and several civilian workers are under investigation by the Navy inspector general.
Marine Log News
- 2012-05-29 - Keel laying for Offshore Patrol Boat for Irish Navy
- 2012-07-29 - Huntington Ingalls awarded $1.5 billion Navy contract
- 2012-09-19 - BIW gets another $38.9 million for DDG 1000 work
- 2012-10-06 - Newport News Shipbuilding crane makes largest lift yet
- 2012-11-05 - LPD 24 completes Navy acceptance trials
- 2012-11-13 - NASSCO floats out first MLP ship
- 2012-12-10 - Ingalls delivers LPD 24, awarded LPD 17 class maintenance
- 2013-01-11 - BAE Norfolk gets $80.6 million mod to LHD 7 contract
- 2013-01-30 - Navy to remove grounded minesweeper one piece at a time
- 2013-02-01 - ST Marine to build new Singapore Navy patrol vessels
- 2013-02-07 - Navy plan to downsize fleet draws criticism
- 2013-02-12 - Colonna's wins $17.9 million Navy contract
- 2013-02-15 - Ship repairers brace for Navy contract cancelations
- 2013-02-27 - Obama visits NNS to warn of sequester dangers
- 2013-03-04 - Mabus outlines Navy response to sequestration
- 2013-03-08 - Navy adds $65 million mod to Kennedy contract
- 2013-04-11 - Navy releases FY 2014 budget details
- 2013-03-22 - Navy adds another $407.4 million to Kennedy contract
- 2013-04-08 - Ingalls achieves DDG 1001 hangar milestone
- 2013-04-18 - GE Power Conversion gets major MSC contract
- 2013-04-30 - BAE Norfolk wins $49.4 million Navy contract
- 2013-05-08 - Huntington Ingalls reports increased profits
- 2013-05-08 - Navy set to announce multi-year DDG-51 procurements