OCTOBER 25, 2012 — The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) has released the final details for Western Gulf of Mexico Lease Sale 229. To be held on November 28, 2012, in New Orleans, it will offer more than 20 million acres offshore and will make available all unleased areas in the Western Gulf of Mexico Planning Area.
The sale will build on two major Gulf of Mexico lease sales in the past year—a 21 million acre sale held last December and a 39 million acre sale held in June—and supports the Obama Administration's goal of continuing to increase domestic oil and gas production.
Despite the freeze on new drilling permits that followed the Deepwater Horizon incident, production has grown each year the President has been in office, with domestic oil production in 2011 higher than any time in nearly a decade and natural gas production at its highest level ever. Foreign oil imports now account for less than 50 percent of the oil consumed in America – the lowest level since 1995.
This will be the first offshore sale under the Administration's new Outer Continental Shelf Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2012–2017 (Five Year Program), which makes available for exploration and development all of the offshore areas with the highest conventional resource potential, which together include more than 75 percent of U.S. undiscovered, technically recoverable offshore oil and gas resources. BOEM also recently announced that the next Central Gulf of Mexico lease sale, proposed Lease Sale 227, will take place on March 20, 2013, making 38 million acres available.
With today's action, BOEM is fulfilling the requirement to provide final details at least 30 days before the sale. The sale will include all available unleased areas in the Western Gulf of Mexico Planning Area – encompassing 3,873 blocks and covering roughly 20.8 million acres, located from nine to 250 miles offshore, in water depths ranging from 16 to more than 10,975 feet (five to 3,346 meters). BOEM estimates the proposed lease sale could result in the production of 116 to 200 million barrels of oil and 538 to 938 billion cubic feet of natural gas.
The most recent sale in the Western Gulf of Mexico Planning area, Western Gulf of Mexico Sale 218, took place on December 14, 2011. BOEM awarded 181 leases on tracts covering 1,036,205 acres to the successful high bidders who participated in the sale. The accepted high bids were valued at $324,971,001.
BOEM established the terms for the sale after extensive environmental analysis, public comment and consideration of the best scientific information available. These terms include measures to protect the environment, such as stipulations requiring that operators protect biologically sensitive features and provide trained observers to monitor marine mammals and sea turtles to ensure compliance and restrict operations when conditions warrant. The terms also continue a range of incentives to encourage diligent development and ensure a fair return to taxpayers — including an increased minimum bid for deepwater tracts, escalating rental rates and tiered durational terms with relatively short base periods followed by additional time under the same lease if the operator drills a well during the initial period.
The Final Notice of Sale for Sale 229 details the lease terms and conditions, as well as all the environmental stipulations for this sale. The Final Notice of Sale information package is available at: http://www.boem.gov/Sale-229/. Copies can also be requested from the Gulf of Mexico Region's Public Information Office at 1201 Elmwood Park Boulevard, New Orleans, LA 70123, or at 800-200-GULF (4853).
The Notice of Availability of the Final Notice of Sale is available in the Federal Register at: http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/public-inspection/index.html.
Marine Log News
- 2011-07-06 - Aker Solutions to provide subsea equipment for expanded MWCC containment system
- 2011-09-15 - Joint Investigation Team issues Deepwater Horizon report
- 2011-09-16 - Salazar names Bromwich and Beaudreau to lead new offshore bureaus
- 2011-09-29 - Swiber Holdings order book soars past $1 billion mark
- 2011-10-16 - BSEE issues violations in Deepwater Horizon case
- 2011-11-04 - BSEE names Chief of Offshore Regulatory Programs
- 2011-11-10 - BOEM announces first GoM lease sale since Deepwater Horizon incident
- 2012-03-12 - Tidewater reports "unexpected developments" in Angola JV negotiations
- 2012-05-06 - Inace Shipyard delivers Brazilian fast supply vessel
- 2012-05-25 - Deepwater blowout exercise to be conducted this summer in GOM
- 2012-06-21 - Bourbon gets EUR 420 million financing to fund newbuilding spree
- 2012-07-18 - HHI to sign $700 million contract for huge spar platform
- 2012-07-23 - Smit Lamnalco donates to support seafarer services vessel
- 2012-08-17 - Miclyn Express Offshore building two Platform Supply Vessels
- 2012-09-26 - Indictment alleges Gulf clean-up training scam
- 2012-10-05 - Corvus supplying battery system for fuel cell vessel
- 2012-10-22 - Chouest forms subsea services JV with FMC Technologies
- 2012-11-06 - Tidewater reports 2Q FY2013 results
- 2012-11-16 - BP settles criminal charges in Deepwater Horizon case
- 2012-11-20 - BSEE investigates deadly platform fire in Gulf of Mexico
- 2012-11-26 - Boskalis makes a grab for Dockwise
- 2012-11-29 - NAPA supplies loading computers for 55 Bourbon OSVs
- 2012-11-29 - WSS makes sales appointment
- 2013-01-03 - Transocean agrees to pay $1.4 billion Deepwater Horizon settlement
- 2013-01-14 - Ezra Holdings divisions win major contracts
- 2013-01-16 - Salazar stepping down as Secretary of the Interior
- 2013-01-18 - Miclyn Express Offshore expands fleet
- 2013-01-21 - Island Offshore PSVs get five-year contracts
- 2013-01-21 - Viking Supply plans new organizational structure
- 2013-01-24 - Atlantic Offshore plans to order newbuild ERRV
- 2013-01-28 - Keppel FELS set to deliver first Dynamic Offshore jack-up
- 2013-01-28 - Damen launches first vessel in new PSV series
- 2013-01-29 - Mermaid Maritime wins subsea contracts worth $30 million
- 2013-01-30 - Court accepts BP's Deepwater Horizon plea deal
- 2013-01-30 - Damen introduces deepwater AHTS design
- 2013-02-04 - Drew Marine completes Alexander/Ryan acquisition
- 2013-02-04 - Rem adds another OSCV to orders at Kleven Verft
- 2013-02-05 - Barge Master platform completes offshore testing
- 2013-02-07 - ABB to supply electrical systems for Brazilian drillships
- 2013-02-07 - Titan Salvage makes VP appointment
- 2013-02-08 - Offshore lease sale seen as barometer of industry interest
- 2013-02-14 - STX OSV books OSCV order from Solstad Offshore
- 2013-02-15 - Federal judge accepts Transocean guilty plea
- 2013-02-15 - Streeter steps down at GulfMark Offshore
- 2013-02-19 - BP prepares for Deepwater Horizon civil liability trial
- 2013-02-26 - Bourbon takes delivery of third large IMR vessel
- 2013-02-27 - Wärtsilä opens new workshop in Brazil
- 2013-03-08 - Rowan promotes Thomas P. Burke to President
- 2013-03-11 - MEO Batam shipyard completes upgrades to MPSV Endeavour
- 2013-03-26 - HHI wins TLP and FSU orders worth $2 billion
- 2013-04-02 - Otto Marine in ROV support vessel sale and charter deal
- 2013-04-10 - Zentech makes VP appointment
- 2013-04-17 - Axis accommodation semi to have Wärtsilä systems
- 2013-04-18 - Wärtsilä "cautious" on shipbuilding outlook
- 2013-04-26 - Viking invests in new Singapore innovation hub
- 2013-04-30 - Siem orders cable layer to work with wind farm installer
- 2013-05-15 - Tidewater to buy Norway's Troms Offshore Supply
- 2013-05-20 - Hercules Offshore sells inland barge rigs
- 2013-05-20 - MacGregor wins offshore winch contracts