OCTOBER 12, 2012 — Gerardo Borromeo has been appointed President of ship management trade association InterManager. Mr. Borromeo is Vice-Chairman and CEO of Philippine Transmarine Carriers, Inc. (PTC), one of the largest crew management companies in the Philippines, deploying more than 33,000 seafarers annually.He succeeds Alastair Evitt, Managing Director of Meridian Marine Management, who has completed his two-year term of office.
InterManager has also voted in four new Vice Presidents to focus on specific areas of InterManager business. They are: Alex Albertini (Marfin Management) who takes up the role of Treasurer; Peter Curtis (Seaspan Ship Management) who will focus on the role of the Secretariat; Wim Van Noortvijk (ISSA) who will concentrate on Membership; and Ian MacLean (Hill Dickinson) who will become General Counsel to the Association.
Welcoming Mr. Borromeo's appointment, InterManager Secretary General Captain Kuba Szymanski said: "We believe Gerardo Borromeo will be well placed to provide strong and positive leadership to our organization at a time when the shipping industry is facing tough economic challenges, supported by the four Vice Presidents who will help us to ensure we are meeting our members' expectations."
Over the past few years, Mr Borromeo has been responsible for the development and implementation of strategic initiatives and business development activities for the PTC Group of Companies, engaged in crew management, education and training; medical diagnostics; chartering and logistics; agency and freight forwarding; real estate development; and land-based deployment.
Mr. Borromeo earned his Bachelors and Masters degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. He has served on the Executive Committee of InterManager for several years and is also a Vice Chairman of the International Chamber of Shipping and a member of the Board of Trustees for the Filipino Shipowners Association.
InterManager now has a membership of 91 – both Full and Associate members – involved in the management of almost 5,000 vessels and some 250,000 crew.
Marine Log News
- 2011-07-28 - OMERS Private Equity to buy V.Group
- 2011-10-17 - Thome Ship Management appoints Ostenfeldt MD
- 2012-04-11 - Shipping performance benchmarking project passes 1,000 ship milestone
- 2012-05-31 - Ship manager to pay $1.2 million in pollution case
- 2012-07-23 - Smit Lamnalco donates to support seafarer services vessel
- 2013-01-15 - New leadership for TOTE Services
- 2013-02-20 - "Perception gap" in seafarers' view of shoreside opportunities
- 2013-03-25 - Bibby COO warns: Eco ships won't arrive overnight
- 2013-04-29 - ClassNK signs authorization agreement with Myanmar
- 2013-05-07 - V. Ships Leisure to be Titanic II ship manager