SEPTEMBER 4, 2012 — MAN Diesel & Turbo has introduced the latest addition to its four-stroke portfolio, the L35/44DF engine.
The dual fuel engine has been developed to comply with IMO Tier II emission limits in diesel mode and IMO Tier III limits in gas operation. A high degree of fuel flexibility (HFO, MDO, MGO and natural gas) was another primary design objective.
Introduced at a time when separate emissions regulations for harbors are set to come into play, the L35/44DF has an output of 530 kW/cylinder. The inline 35/44DF is available in 6 – 10 cylinder configurations, equivalent to total power outputs from 3.2 MW to 5.3 MW. This is the highest power output available in the segment and complements that offered by the larger L51/60DF type.
The first prototype entered its test phase at the beginning of the second quarter of 2012 at MAN Diesel & Turbo's Augsburg facility. A V-type engine version is being developed simultaneously that will enlarge the power-output range of the company's dual-fuel engine portfolio as part of MAN Diesel & Turbo's market strategy.
The L35/44 engine has also been specifically developed to enable 32/44CR-T2 engines to be retrofitted, thanks to a high level of component synergies and the same crankcase, which can be re-machined on board. Subsequent engine operation of the retrofitted engines is mainly intended for gas mode using a separate pilot ignition system – based on proven technology widely employed by the truck industry – that is independent of the primary, common rail injection system. However, the common rail system is retained and fully functional as a back-up system in the event of any problem while operating in gas mode.
Marine Log News
- 2011-10-27 - Wärtsilä donates diesel system to SUNY Maritime College
- 2011-11-01 - MAN Diesel & Turbo and Kawasaki mark a century
- 2011-11-03 - Cummins introduces world's most powerful high speed diesel
- 2012-09-18 - Cummins reorganizes Commercial Marine Business
- 2012-10-31 - MAN Diesel & Turbo unveils EGR engine
- 2012-11-27 - Growing interest in ultra-long-stroke engine
- 2012-12-04 - Cummins launches Tier 3 diesel line
- 2012-12-06 - GE Marine announces timeline for Tier 3 compliance
- 2012-12-06 - TOTE order is first for MAN's LNG-fueled low speed engine
- 2012-12-20 - Teekay LNG orders are second for MAN B&W ME-GI
- 2013-01-29 - Mack Boring to distribute Steyr marine diesel engines
- 2013-02-06 - Ultra long stroke MAN B&W engine passes shop test
- 2013-02-13 - Teekay's LNG burning two strokes promise big benefits
- 2013-03-21 - Trans Marine Propulsion Systems now U.S. agent for ABC
- 2013-04-24 - MAN 48/60 marks a sales milestone
- 2013-04-25 - Rolls-Royce nets another fish transporter contract
- 2013-04-26 - Tuna vessel to have high efficiency propulsion package
- 2013-04-29 - MAN Diesel offers ABB HP tuning as two-stroke option
- 2013-05-03 - Goltens opens new Dubai Maritime City facility
- 2013-05-09 - MAN B&W G type engines to power Teekay Tanker newbuilds
- 2013-05-16 - Latest MAN B&W G-type completes type approval test