JULY 5, 2012 — The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y., today welcomed its incoming Class of 2016. The 274 plebe candidates come from 47 states, the District of Columbia and the three foreign countries of South Korea, Malaysia and Panama.
"The new plebe candidates make up one of the most diverse classes at the academy," said Acting Superintendent Dr. Shashi Kumar. "These young plebes also have the highest average SAT scores for critical reading and math of any previous class."
On arrival, the Congressionally-nominated future Midshipmen began a rigorous, two-week regimen of academic, military, and physical training intended to transform them from everyday teenagers into future leaders and licensed officers. During their first day of "indoctrination," known as INDOC, the candidates received their first berthing assignments, were issued uniforms, got their first military haircut, and learned to salute in their first official formation.
On graduation, each Midshipman will receive a Bachelor of Science Degree, a U.S. Coast Guard License and a commission in the Armed Forces of the United States, which will help ensure a steady stream of merchant marine officers to support the nation's economic and security interests.
Marine Log News
- 2012-04-27 - Wärtsilä donates controllable pitch propulsion system to USMMA, Kings Point
- 2012-06-26 - Colonel Jim Helis to be new Kings Point superintendent
- 2012-08-21 - USMMA gets "space" ship for training
- 2012-11-14 - Kings Point names new deputy superintendent
- 2012-12-12 - Four Kings Pointers awarded Crowley Scholarships
- 2012-12-13 - Craig Perciavalle takes helm at Austal USA
- 2013-01-03 - Crowley makes VP appointment
- 2013-01-15 - New leadership for TOTE Services
- 2013-01-29 - Kings Point welcomes new Deputy Superintendent
- 2013-02-21 - AEU adds merchant mariner to loss control staff
- 2013-03-04 - Crowley named honorary USMMA alumnus
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-24 - DoT IG asked to review USMMA sexual harassment policies
- 2013-04-25 - Alumni Association faces eviction from Kings Point campus
- 2013-05-02 - Judge stays Alumni Association eviction from Kings Point
- 2013-05-09 - Court upholds Alumni Association eviction from USMMA campus
- 2013-05-15 - Alumni Association leaves Kings Point campus