JUNE 8, 2012 — Jones Act containership operator Horizon Lines, Inc. (OTCQB: HRZL) reports that Sam Woodward has joined the company as President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and has been appointed to the company's Board of Directors. He succeeds Stephen H. Fraser, who has served as interim President and CEO since March 2011, and who has also stepped down from the company's Board.
Mr. Woodward, 63, joins Horizon Lines from Traffic Tech Inc., an international freight forwarder, where he held several executive leadership roles. He also served as a managing director of Bengur Bryan & Co., a middle market investment bank, where since 2008 he headed the firm's Transportation and Business Process Outsourcing Practice. From 2004 to 2008, Mr. Woodward was Chairman, President and CEO of Gemini Air Cargo, Inc. Prior to Gemini, Mr. Woodward was president of SAW Investment Services, his own investment firm, where he oversaw investment and management services in the U.S. freight- and logistics-based technology markets. From 1994 to 1999, Mr. Woodward served at YRC Worldwide as Senior Vice President, Operations and Planning, managing operations and strategy of the company's portfolio of transportation and logistics companies.
"We are delighted that Sam has chosen to join Horizon Lines as President and CEO," said Jeffrey A. Brodsky, Chairman of the Board. "Sam brings extensive transportation and logistics experience, and is known for his leadership abilities as a business strategist focused on operational transformation and excellence. He has a strong track record of success in a career that has spanned multiple companies over more than 30 years. Sam's proven leadership abilities will be an asset to management and the Board, as Horizon Lines moves forward in the years ahead.
"We also want to thank Stephen for his leadership of Horizon Lines as interim President and CEO over the past 15 months," Mr. Brodsky said. "Stephen successfully shepherded Horizon through a very challenging period. We wish Stephen well in his future endeavors and we are confident this transition will be a seamless one for our customers and other stakeholders."
"I look forward to working with the many talented and dedicated associates and stakeholders of Horizon Lines, as we move forward to grow the business in our three core trade lanes," Mr. Woodward said.
Mr. Woodward was appointed President and CEO, as well as a Director, at a meeting of the Board of Directors that followed the company's 2012 annual stockholder on July 7. At the annual meeting, shareholders elected Mr. Brodsky, Kurt M. Cellar and David N. Weinstein Class I Directors, and ratified the appointment of Ernst & Young, LLP as the company's independent registered public accounting firm for the fiscal year ending December 23, 2012. Additionally, shareholders provided a non-binding advisory vote approving the compensation paid to the company's named executive officers.
Marine Log News
- 2013-05-24 - Hamburg Süd celebrates double christening
- 2011-04-29 - Court slashes Horizon Lines fine
- 2011-08-09 - Matson discontinues CLX2 China-Long Beach Express
- 2011-08-16 - Horizon Lines appoints VP International Services
- 2011-09-20 - Cosco Busan owners and operators to pay $44.4 million civil settlement
- 2011-10-06 - Horizon Lines completes refinancing of capital structure
- 2011-10-20 - Horizon Lines loses NYSE listing
- 2011-10-25 - Horizon Lines to discontinue trans-Pacific service
- 2011-11-02 - Grand China Shipping suspends trans-pacific service
- 2011-12-01 - Alexander & Baldwin and Matson Navigation to become separate companies
- 2012-02-14 - TUI moves ahead with plans to sell remaining Hapag-Lloyd stake
- 2012-03-07 - Horizon Lines issues updates on environmental initiatives
- 2012-03-06 - APL to fit fuel emulsification system to main engine of 10,000 TEU box ship
- 2012-03-22 - FastShip files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- 2012-05-02 - Diana Containerships ups profit, declares dividend
- 2012-09-14 - Double christening for Evergreen Line at Samsung
- 2012-10-01 - Gibdock completes complex box ship crane refurbishment
- 2012-10-02 - Costamare subsidiary reaches settlement in Rena case
- 2012-10-17 - Evergreen adds another eco-friendly containership
- 2012-11-08 - World's largest containership starts maiden voyage
- 2012-11-27 - Matson plans new Jones Act ships, but not soon
- 2012-12-03 - Rickmers partners with Oaktree to build containerships
- 2012-12-03 - No resolution yet in LA Long Beach port strike negotiations
- 2012-12-10 - Gas-burning low speed engine has formal unveiling
- 2012-12-14 - World's largest containership makes first stop in Europe
- 2013-01-16 - Seaspan orders five 14,000 TEU containerships from HHI
- 2013-02-18 - Emma Maersk towed from Egyptian port
- 2013-03-26 - NOL adds new 14,000-TEU "Eco ship"
- 2013-05-06 - Hyundai Heavy books order for world's largest box ships
- 2013-05-07 - Maersk Line, Limited brings eight ships under U.S. flag
- 2013-05-08 - Five dead after ship slams into Genoa control tower
- 2013-05-20 - New Houston to Puerto Rico U.S.-flag service to debut
- 2013-05-30 - Costamare in box ship acquisition JV with fund manager
- 2013-06-04 - GL develops box ship concept for Intra-Asian routes
- 2013-06-06 - Horizon names Hamlin EVP and COO
- 2013-06-13 - Failure to report engine failure brings $75,000 penalty
- 2013-06-14 - Maersk names first Triple-E containership