JUNE 1, 2012—Carnival Cruise Lines, Miami, FL, took delivery of the 130,000-gross ton Carnival Breeze at a traditional maritime handover ceremony held on May 31 at the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy.
The 306 meter by 37 meter cruise ship is the sister ship of the Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic, which were delivered by the Monfalcone shipyard in 2009 and 2011, respectively.
Launched in September 2011, the Carnival Breeze has 1,845 cabins, plus 746 for the crew, for a total maximum capacity of over 6,000.
Carnival Breeze will depart on its inaugural cruise from Venice on June 3, operating a special 12-day Mediterranean cruise that ends in Barcelona June 15. Following a summer schedule of 12-day Mediterranean cruises from Barcelona that runs through October 25, Carnival Breeze will reposition to Miami for year-round six- and eight-day Caribbean cruises beginning November 24, becoming Carnival Cruise Lines' largest South Florida-based ship.
"Carnival Breeze represents the continued evolution of our product, offering a huge array of branded experiences for our guests and inviting public spaces each with its own personality and character, all enhanced by the spirited fun that makes a Carnival cruise so memorable," said Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and CEO.
Carnival Breeze is the line's first ship to feature the Thrill Theater, an immersive multi-dimensional special effects experience that makes viewers feel as if they're part of the movie.
Other highlights sure to provide fun for the whole family include WaterWorks offering splash-tastic water slides and a 300-gallon drenching bucket, and SportSquare, an expansive recreation area with a suspended ropes course, a miniature golf course, an outdoor fitness area and more.
New dining options on Carnival Breeze include Bonsai Sushi, the line's first full-service sushi restaurant, a free open-air barbecue venue called Fat Jimmy's C-Side BBQ, and The Comfort Kitchen, a casual poolside spot for American-style comfort food. Other choices range from Guy's Burger Joint, developed in tandem with Food Network personality Guy Fieri, to the Mexican-themed BlueIguana Cantina and Cucina del Capitano, a family-style Italian restaurant that brings the heritage of Carnival's captains to the table.
Carnival Breeze is also the first ship in the fleet to feature all of the entertainment elements of the line's groundbreaking "Fun Ship 2.0" enhancement initiative, including Hasbro, The Game Show, with larger than life adaptations of the brand's iconic games, and Playlist Productions, which combine captivating live performances with high-tech LED staging and special effects to set a new standard in seagoing entertainment.
With a nod to its upcoming Caribbean itineraries, the tropics-inspired Carnival Breeze also features vibrant interiors and inviting public spaces, from the poolside RedFrog Rum Bar and BlueIguana Tequila Bar to the sun-splashed Lido Marketplace restaurant and a palm tree-lined indoor/outdoor cafe and live entertainment venue called Ocean Plaza. Even the staterooms incorporate a palette of pastel hues and a striking new design inspired by the Caribbean's cool island breezes and warm sunsets.
Carnival Breeze joins Carnival Cruise Lines' 23 other ships which operate three- to 18-day voyages to The Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, New England, Europe, Bermuda, South America, Tahiti, the Fiji Islands, New Zealand, Norway, the Baltic and the British Isles.
Marine Log News
- 2011-01-25 - Carnival Splendour goes to San Francisco for repairs
- 2011-06-22 - STX France cancels Libya cruise ship contract
- 2011-07-08 - American Cruise Line awarded Glacier Bay contract
- 2012-04-18 - Passengers from disabled Antarctic cruise ship transferred to rescue vessel
- 2012-01-23 - As Concordia death toll rises, EU takes new look at passenger vessel regs
- 2012-01-14 - Three dead in Costa Concordia grounding
- 2012-02-29 - Costa Allegra under tow, with armed security detail on board
- 2012-05-01 - Al Qaeda said to have cruise ships on terror wish list
- 2012-05-10 - Construction of NCL Breakaway class cruise ships moves ahead
- 2012-05-29 - IMO Maritime Safety Committee makes interim recommendations on passenger ship safety
- 2012-07-09 - Princess Cruises awards Wärtsilä long term service contract
- 2012-09-07 - Pride of America set for major upgrades
- 2012-09-19 - TUI Cruise newbuild to have ABB energy management package
- 2012-09-20 - Cruise industry adopts new lifeboat loading policy
- 2012-10-03 - STX Finland to get order for third Oasis class cruise ship?
- 2012-10-04 - Eniram releases study on cruise ship fouling
- 2012-10-10 - Meyer Werft delivers Celebrity Reflection
- 2012-10-18 - Costa Concordia hearings continue
- 2012-10-26 - Royal Caribbean confirms it is negotiating for third Oasis
- 2012-10-27 - Carnival orders two new class cruise ships
- 2012-11-05 - TUI Cruises exercises newbuild option at STX Finland
- 2012-11-09 - Carnival releases details of Destiny-to-Sunshine makeover
- 2012-11-19 - USCG and NTSB join Costa Concordia investigation
- 2012-11-21 - Metso to refurbish cruise ship's automation system
- 2012-11-23 - Designers select Bolidt for Breakaway
- 2012-11-26 - Paris MOU set to start crack down on passenger ships
- 2012-11-28 - Veteran cruise ship starts new life in China
- 2012-12-05 - MSC agrees new cruise passenger safety measures
- 2012-12-10 - Sembawang Shipyard gets Royal Caribbean contract
- 2012-12-11 - Fincantieri places first Costa Diadema module in dock
- 2012-12-18 - TUI Cruises newbuilds to have KONE elevators and escalators
- 2012-12-20 - Cruise industry supports Paris MOU campaign
- 2012-12-28 - STX France wins order for Royal Caribbean's third Oasis
- 2013-01-17 - Pride of America to get exhaust gas scrubbers
- 2013-02-11 - Engine room fire disables Carnival Triumph
- 2013-02-11 - Carnival Triumph gets some shipboard power back
- 2013-02-12 - Carnival Triumph to be towed to Mobile, not Mexico
- 2013-02-12 - USCG and NTSB to investigate Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-14 - Carnival ups compensation for Triumph passengers
- 2013-02-14 - STX OSV announces three OSCV orders in one day
- 2013-02-15 - Carnival Triumph towed to BAE Ship Repair
- 2013-02-19 - Fuel oil leak was source of Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-25 - Norwegian Breakaway is set for float out
- 2013-02-26 - Costa Concordia plaintiffs claim "a huge victory"
- 2013-02-27 - Meyer Werft floats out Norwegian Breakaway
- 2013-03-07 - Meyer Werft: Shipyard fire won't delay Getaway delivery
- 2013-03-07 - Big cruise ship has small carbon footprint
- 2013-03-14 - Carnival Cruises flies Dream passengers back to U.S.
- 2013-03-13 - Carnival Cruises looks at lessons learned from Triumph fire
- 2013-03-15 - Vantage christens its latest river cruise ship
- 2013-03-15 - As Legend skips a port, Carnival reports on first quarter
- 2013-03-18 - Schumer demands cruise passenger "bill of rights"
- 2013-03-19 - Carnival delays return to service of Triumph and Sunshine
- 2013-03-27 - Fincantieri floats out Regal Princess
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-04 - Carnival Triumph blown from moorings at repair yard
- 2013-04-12 - MHI uses induction straightening on cruise newbuilds
- 2013-04-23 - Fox News appearance by AMO's Bethel draws criticism
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - Adventure cruise ship drydocks at Lloyd Werft
- 2013-04-30 - M.E.B.A. says cruising does employ U.S. Merchant Mariners
- 2013-05-01 - Hapag-Lloyd Cruises takes delivery of Europa 2
- 2013-05-08 - Senator Rockefeller asks cruise lines about safety
- 2013-05-22 - Cruise industry adopts "passenger bill of rights"