MAY 25, 2012—The Netherland’s Damen Shipyards Group will now have two ship repair yards in Sweden, following its acquisition of the shares of Swedish ship repair and maintenance yard Oskarshamnsvarvet in Oskarshamn.
Oskarshamnsvarvet is a ship repair yard on the southeast coast of Sweden. It specializes in the maintenance and repair of vessels up to 80m and has built, repaired and maintained a substantial part of the Swedish coastal fleet since 1863.
Apart from a floating dock, the company operates a slipway covered by a portal crane of 100 tons. In addition to ship repair the company is active in industrial activities, such as specialized crane assembly and the production of special-purpose containers. Oskarshamnsvarvet employs about 60 people.
René Berkvens, CEO Damen Shipyards, says: “The takeover of Oskarshamnsvarvet fits right into our strategy to increase Damen’s network of ship repair yards in Europe. Moreover, Oskarshamnsvarvet is a solid base from which we can provide services to existing and new (Swedish) clients. We look forward to work with the yard and its employees.”
Martijn Smit has been appointed as board member of Oskarshamnsvarvet.
Damen’s other facility in Sweden is Damen Shiprepair Götaverken on the west coast. All in all, Damen operates nine ship repair and conversion yards along the North Sea coast and three repair yards in the Middle East.
- 2011-10-03 - Richard McCreary joins BAE Systems Ship Repair
- 2011-11-01 - GD completes Metro Machine acquisition
- 2011-11-04 - DCD-Dorbyl unveils upgraded Cape Town repair quay
- 2012-04-29 - BAE Systems Norfolk to perform extensive ship drydocking
- 2012-05-31 - Signal International makes appointment at its Mobile ship repair facility
- 2012-09-20 - BAE Norfolk gets Navy contract mods worth $104.8 million
- 2012-10-05 - Damen-design Platform Supply Vessels for Brazil
- 2012-11-15 - BAE Systems to acquire Marine Hydraulics International
- 2012-11-26 - BAE San Francisco gets $13.3 million MSC award
- 2012-12-07 - VT Halter Marine breaks ground for new ship repair facility
- 2012-12-18 - Navy said to seek new operator for Guam shipyard
- 2012-12-19 - Damen acquires ship repairer Arno Dunkerque
- 2013-01-02 - Westcon Group buys Florø shipyard and design group
- 2013-01-03 - BAE Norfolk gets $50 million Navy contract mod
- 2013-01-11 - BAE Norfolk gets $80.6 million mod to LHD 7 contract
- 2013-01-14 - Vigor orders giant floating dry dock for Portland
- 2013-01-31 - Safety milestone for Signal Ship Repair
- 2013-02-08 - Damen acquires Dutch ship repairer Shipdock
- 2013-02-15 - AMSEC employee wins ship repair safety award
- 2013-02-15 - Ship repairers brace for Navy contract cancelations
- 2013-02-21 - Sembcorp Marine reports higher turnover, lower profit
- 2013-03-11 - Otto Marine shipyard books first newbuilds in two years
- 2013-03-25 - Bollinger delivers fifth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2013-04-04 - Carnival Triumph blown from moorings at repair yard
- 2013-04-30 - BAE Norfolk wins $49.4 million Navy contract
- 2013-05-03 - Sembcorp Marine reports increased profits
- 2013-05-06 - BAE Norfolk gets $48.6 million mod to DDG 58 contract
- 2013-05-20 - Gibdock completes seismic vessel refit