The BBC reports that the captain of a vessel involved in a collision with a Stenaline ferry at the mouth of Belfast Lough will appear in court on Friday on a charge of having excess alcohol in his blood. The masters of both vessels were breathalyzed after the incident.
Stena Line said that the collision involved the Stena Feronia ferry, on its approach to Belfast, and the cargo vessel Union Moon.
There were no injuries to any of the 51 passengers or 47 crew on board.
The Feronia, which left Birkenhead at approximately 11.45am on Wednesday morning, was able to continue its journey and berth in Belfast shortly after the incident occurred.
According to media reports both vessels sustained damage.
Bangor and Donaghadee RNLI lifeboats were called out in response to the incident. RNLI Bangor lifeboat launched at 7.15 pm to assist with damage control and assessment. Donaghadee RNLI lifeboat was out on a training exercise when it was requested at 7.45pm to also attend the scene of the collision.
The Equasis data base shows that the 1,543 dwt, 1985-built Union Moon flies the Cook Island flag, is classified by a non-IACS classification body and has had an 11.1 percent detention rate in inspections carried out in the last 36 months. It is managed by Continental Ship Management of Karmsund, Norway, and the registered owner is Norswede Shipping KS, which gives its address as in care of Continental Ship Management.
March 8, 2012
- 2011-08-16 - Congressman says Port Townsend to get $1.3 million for ferry
- 2012-04-23 - STX Rauma lays keel for double-ended ferry
- 2012-02-28 - Art Anderson Associates hires Sean McKee as Marine Electrical Engineer
- 2012-03-26 - Aluminium Marine delivers 195-passenger ferry
- 2012-05-25 - NTSB makes ferry safety recommendations
- 2012-07-29 - Voith keeps things moving at 2012 Olympics
- 2012-08-16 - CMAL to study hydrogen fuel cell applications for green ferries
- 2012-09-06 - Mat-Su Borough puts Susitna up for sale
- 2012-10-08 - MHI confirms effectiveness of air lube system on ferry
- 2012-10-19 - Euroferries charters Austal trimaran for new cross channel service
- 2012-10-31 - Ferry service impacted by Hurricane Sandy
- 2012-11-20 - Danish yard delivers double-ended 50 m ferry
- 2012-11-26 - NY Water Taxi to operate new ferry service
- 2012-11-26 - Lauro and Rolls-Royce team to develop gas fueled ferry
- 2012-12-03 - Wärtsilä gets equipment order for LNG-fueled Quebec ferry
- 2012-12-21 - NYC to continue East River Ferry service
- 2012-12-28 - Kvichak Marine delivers Lake Havasu ferry
- 2013-01-09 - Passengers injured as Seastreak ferry slams into NYC dock
- 2013-01-09 - Seastreak ferry remains docked as investigations start
- 2013-01-10 - Seastreak ferry had undergone major conversion
- 2013-01-10 - Voith Schneider Propellers ordered for Canadian lake ferry
- 2013-01-11 - EU funding for LNG bunkering vessel project
- 2013-01-12 - NTSB briefing on Seastreak ferry incident investigation
- 2013-01-16 - LNG fueled cruise ferry has Navis DP
- 2013-01-17 - New head of Alaska ferry system
- 2013-01-21 - Cruise ferry is first ship to gain new BV notation
- 2013-01-29 - EU funds study of barriers to LNG fueling
- 2013-01-29 - Mat-Su Borough tries to give Susitna away
- 2013-02-10 - BHC lone bidder for Salem ferry service
- 2013-02-17 - Virginia DOT issues RFP for new ferry design
- 2013-02-19 - Bangladesh shipbuilder delivers ferry to Danish owner
- 2013-02-20 - USCG marks temporary route for Hatteras - Ocracoke ferry
- 2013-02-25 - MTN Satellite offers new broadband solution
- 2013-03-06 - Nova Scotia to make new effort to find ferry operator
- 2013-03-13 - Canada TSB issues report on 2011 BC Ferries' hard docking
- 2013-03-14 - Wärtsilä wins Viking Grace maintenance agreement
- 2013-03-19 - Wesmar to supply bow thrusters for Australian ferry
- 2013-03-22 - Battery powered ferry to have Azipull propulsion
- 2013-03-22 - Coal-burning S.S. Badger gets a two-season reprieve
- 2013-03-26 - Latest 112 m Incat wave piercer heads for Denmark
- 2013-03-29 - Stockholm offers vessel-to-vessel LNG bunkering
- 2013-04-01 - Susitna attracts just one bid
- 2013-04-08 - Indonesia releases Skaugen vessel after six months detention
- 2013-04-11 - FHWA budget seeks $67 million for ferry boat program
- 2013-04-18 - Delivery of LNG-fueled cruise ferry delayed
- 2013-04-18 - Wärtsilä "cautious" on shipbuilding outlook
- 2013-04-24 - Vigor-built barge supports King County ferry operations
- 2013-04-30 - Incat Crowther designs new Rocket for Sydney Harbor
- 2013-05-17 - Celebrating a milestone: EBDG marks 25th anniversary
- 2013-05-21 - Interferry hails MEPC decision on EEDI