In order to completely exit container shipping, TUI will obtain the right to call for an IPO with priority placement of the shares held by TUI any time as of end of June 2012. TUI also remains entitled to sell the remaining Hapag-Lloyd shares to third-party investors. The cash inflow is to be used to further reduce debt and hence enhances the scope of TUI's core business, tourism.
he owners of Hapag-Lloyd are the Albert Ballin consortium (61.6%, consisting of the City of Hamburg, Kühne Holding AG, Signal Iduna, HSH Nordbank, M.M.Warburg Bank and HanseMerkur) and the TUI AG (38.4%).
The transaction includes the following steps:
- Initially, Hapag-Lloyd will redeem a part of the hybrid II financing worth 100 million euros before the end of February 2012.
- Albert Ballin will acquire hybrid II capital worth 125 million euros at nominal value from TUI by 30 March 2012.
- Subsequently, Albert Ballin and TUI will each transfer 125 million euros of the hybrid II capital to Hapag-Lloyd in exchange for new shares. As a result, TUI’s stake in Hapag-Lloyd will temporarily rise slightly from its currently 38.4 percent to 39.5 percent.
- By June 29, 2012, Albert Ballin will then acquire a 17.4 percent stake in Hapag-Lloyd from TUI for a purchase price of 475 million euros. TUI’s stake in Hapag-Lloyd will thus decline to around 22 per cent.
- Subject to the terms and conditions of the bonds issued by Hapag-Lloyd in 2010, Hapag-Lloyd will also submit a buyback offer to TUI in April 2013 to repurchase further Hapag-Lloyd shares worth 37.5 million euros in total, so that TUI’s stake in Hapag-Lloyd will decline further.
- Apart from TUI’s entitlement to trigger an IPO as of end of June 2012, TUI has the right to sell the remaining Hapag-Lloyd shares to third-party investors.
February 14, 2012
Marine Log News
- 2013-05-24 - Hamburg Süd celebrates double christening
- 2011-04-29 - Court slashes Horizon Lines fine
- 2011-08-09 - Matson discontinues CLX2 China-Long Beach Express
- 2011-08-16 - Horizon Lines appoints VP International Services
- 2011-09-20 - Cosco Busan owners and operators to pay $44.4 million civil settlement
- 2011-10-06 - Horizon Lines completes refinancing of capital structure
- 2011-10-20 - Horizon Lines loses NYSE listing
- 2011-10-25 - Horizon Lines to discontinue trans-Pacific service
- 2011-11-02 - Grand China Shipping suspends trans-pacific service
- 2011-12-01 - Alexander & Baldwin and Matson Navigation to become separate companies
- 2012-03-07 - Horizon Lines issues updates on environmental initiatives
- 2012-03-06 - APL to fit fuel emulsification system to main engine of 10,000 TEU box ship
- 2012-03-22 - FastShip files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- 2012-05-02 - Diana Containerships ups profit, declares dividend
- 2012-06-08 - Horizon Lines gets new President and CEO
- 2012-09-14 - Double christening for Evergreen Line at Samsung
- 2012-10-01 - Gibdock completes complex box ship crane refurbishment
- 2012-10-02 - Costamare subsidiary reaches settlement in Rena case
- 2012-10-17 - Evergreen adds another eco-friendly containership
- 2012-11-08 - World's largest containership starts maiden voyage
- 2012-11-27 - Matson plans new Jones Act ships, but not soon
- 2012-12-03 - Rickmers partners with Oaktree to build containerships
- 2012-12-03 - No resolution yet in LA Long Beach port strike negotiations
- 2012-12-10 - Gas-burning low speed engine has formal unveiling
- 2012-12-14 - World's largest containership makes first stop in Europe
- 2013-01-16 - Seaspan orders five 14,000 TEU containerships from HHI
- 2013-02-18 - Emma Maersk towed from Egyptian port
- 2013-03-26 - NOL adds new 14,000-TEU "Eco ship"
- 2013-05-06 - Hyundai Heavy books order for world's largest box ships
- 2013-05-07 - Maersk Line, Limited brings eight ships under U.S. flag
- 2013-05-08 - Five dead after ship slams into Genoa control tower
- 2013-05-20 - New Houston to Puerto Rico U.S.-flag service to debut