Three people are confirmed dead after the cruise ship Costa Concordia grounded off Italy Friday evening. Up to 70 were reported missing as of Saturday morning, though a cabin search of the ship was continuing.
The ANSA news agency quotes the prefect's office in the province of Grosseto as saying that authorities have accounted for 4,165 of the 4,234 passengers and crew who had boarded the liner.
The BBC reports that the ship hit a sandbar near the island of Giglio, carrying more than 4,000 people ran aground off Italy.
The ship had departed from Civitavecchia about two and a half hours before the accident: the passengers were at dinner when the incident occurred, reports Italian broadcaster RAI.
RAI says the ship is resting on its side on the bottom, has a gash on the left side along at least 70 meters and is now listing by more than 80 degrees.inclination of over 80 degrees in the opposite direction.
"There can be no doubt: the ship took a rock. The investigation will determine why," RAI quotes a source as saying.
Evacuation of the ship was made more difficult by the gradually increasing list of the ship, reducing the number of available lifeboats and liferafts. Many were taken off by helicopter and some were rescued from the sea after jumping off the ship.
January 14, 2012
- 2011-01-25 - Carnival Splendour goes to San Francisco for repairs
- 2011-06-22 - STX France cancels Libya cruise ship contract
- 2011-07-08 - American Cruise Line awarded Glacier Bay contract
- 2012-04-18 - Passengers from disabled Antarctic cruise ship transferred to rescue vessel
- 2012-01-23 - As Concordia death toll rises, EU takes new look at passenger vessel regs
- 2012-02-29 - Costa Allegra under tow, with armed security detail on board
- 2012-05-01 - Al Qaeda said to have cruise ships on terror wish list
- 2012-05-10 - Construction of NCL Breakaway class cruise ships moves ahead
- 2012-05-29 - IMO Maritime Safety Committee makes interim recommendations on passenger ship safety
- 2012-06-01 - Carnival takes delivery of Carnival Breeze
- 2012-07-09 - Princess Cruises awards Wärtsilä long term service contract
- 2012-09-07 - Pride of America set for major upgrades
- 2012-09-19 - TUI Cruise newbuild to have ABB energy management package
- 2012-09-20 - Cruise industry adopts new lifeboat loading policy
- 2012-10-03 - STX Finland to get order for third Oasis class cruise ship?
- 2012-10-04 - Eniram releases study on cruise ship fouling
- 2012-10-10 - Meyer Werft delivers Celebrity Reflection
- 2012-10-18 - Costa Concordia hearings continue
- 2012-10-26 - Royal Caribbean confirms it is negotiating for third Oasis
- 2012-10-27 - Carnival orders two new class cruise ships
- 2012-11-05 - TUI Cruises exercises newbuild option at STX Finland
- 2012-11-19 - USCG and NTSB join Costa Concordia investigation
- 2012-11-21 - Metso to refurbish cruise ship's automation system
- 2012-11-23 - Designers select Bolidt for Breakaway
- 2012-11-26 - Paris MOU set to start crack down on passenger ships
- 2012-11-28 - Veteran cruise ship starts new life in China
- 2012-12-05 - MSC agrees new cruise passenger safety measures
- 2012-12-10 - Sembawang Shipyard gets Royal Caribbean contract
- 2012-12-11 - Fincantieri places first Costa Diadema module in dock
- 2012-12-18 - TUI Cruises newbuilds to have KONE elevators and escalators
- 2012-12-20 - Cruise industry supports Paris MOU campaign
- 2012-12-28 - STX France wins order for Royal Caribbean's third Oasis
- 2013-01-17 - Pride of America to get exhaust gas scrubbers
- 2013-02-11 - Engine room fire disables Carnival Triumph
- 2013-02-11 - Carnival Triumph gets some shipboard power back
- 2013-02-12 - Carnival Triumph to be towed to Mobile, not Mexico
- 2013-02-12 - USCG and NTSB to investigate Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-14 - Carnival ups compensation for Triumph passengers
- 2013-02-15 - Carnival Triumph towed to BAE Ship Repair
- 2013-02-19 - Fuel oil leak was source of Carnival Triumph fire
- 2013-02-25 - Norwegian Breakaway is set for float out
- 2013-02-26 - Costa Concordia plaintiffs claim "a huge victory"
- 2013-02-27 - Meyer Werft floats out Norwegian Breakaway
- 2013-03-07 - Meyer Werft: Shipyard fire won't delay Getaway delivery
- 2013-03-07 - Big cruise ship has small carbon footprint
- 2013-03-14 - Carnival Cruises flies Dream passengers back to U.S.
- 2013-03-13 - Carnival Cruises looks at lessons learned from Triumph fire
- 2013-03-15 - Vantage christens its latest river cruise ship
- 2013-03-15 - As Legend skips a port, Carnival reports on first quarter
- 2013-03-18 - Schumer demands cruise passenger "bill of rights"
- 2013-03-19 - Carnival delays return to service of Triumph and Sunshine
- 2013-03-27 - Fincantieri floats out Regal Princess
- 2013-03-31 - Norwegian Cruise Lines names Breakaway captains
- 2013-04-04 - Carnival Triumph blown from moorings at repair yard
- 2013-04-12 - MHI uses induction straightening on cruise newbuilds
- 2013-04-23 - Fox News appearance by AMO's Bethel draws criticism
- 2013-04-25 - Barge explosions rock Mobile
- 2013-04-30 - Adventure cruise ship drydocks at Lloyd Werft
- 2013-04-30 - M.E.B.A. says cruising does employ U.S. Merchant Mariners
- 2013-05-01 - Hapag-Lloyd Cruises takes delivery of Europa 2
- 2013-05-08 - Senator Rockefeller asks cruise lines about safety