The donated equipment and support includes a 6-cylinder Wärtsilä 26 medium speed diesel engine, reduction gear, a power take-in (motor)/ take-out (generator), related system equipment, tools, instruction manuals and instruction at Wärtsilä's Land and Sea Training Academy in Fort Lauderdale Florida. This system combines diesel-electric and diesel–mechanical machinery maximizing system efficiency while reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
"We at Wärtsilä are very excited to have the opportunity to partner with SUNY Maritime College, one of the premier maritime academies in the United States, training tomorrow's engineers and engineering executives - the men and women who will lead the maritime industry in the coming decades," said Frank Donnelly, President, Wärtsilä North America, Inc.
"Maritime students, studying this state-of-the-art diesel technology will join the maritime community with a greater working knowledge of diesel maritime technology," said John Hatley, Vice President, Ship Power, Wärtsilä North America.
"The Wärtsilä 26 diesel engine allows our engineering students to work on a state-of-the art engine – similar to one that they will encounter when they are at sea onboard a modern day ship," said Engineering Chairman Dr. Richard Burke.
SUNY Maritime College president, Rear Admiral Wendi B. Carpenter, USN (Ret.), expressed her deep thanks stating, "Wärtsilä's vision in this venture is far reaching in its global impact. Maritime College looks forward to a long and productive public-private partnership with Wärtsilä for many years to come."
October 27, 2011
Marine Log News
- 2011-11-01 - MAN Diesel & Turbo and Kawasaki mark a century
- 2011-11-03 - Cummins introduces world's most powerful high speed diesel
- 2012-09-05 - MAN Diesel & Turbo introduces new dual fuel four-stroke
- 2012-09-18 - Cummins reorganizes Commercial Marine Business
- 2012-10-31 - MAN Diesel & Turbo unveils EGR engine
- 2012-11-27 - Growing interest in ultra-long-stroke engine
- 2012-12-04 - Cummins launches Tier 3 diesel line
- 2012-12-06 - GE Marine announces timeline for Tier 3 compliance
- 2012-12-06 - TOTE order is first for MAN's LNG-fueled low speed engine
- 2012-12-20 - Teekay LNG orders are second for MAN B&W ME-GI
- 2013-01-29 - Mack Boring to distribute Steyr marine diesel engines
- 2013-02-06 - Ultra long stroke MAN B&W engine passes shop test
- 2013-02-13 - Teekay's LNG burning two strokes promise big benefits
- 2013-03-21 - Trans Marine Propulsion Systems now U.S. agent for ABC
- 2013-04-24 - MAN 48/60 marks a sales milestone
- 2013-04-25 - Rolls-Royce nets another fish transporter contract
- 2013-04-26 - Tuna vessel to have high efficiency propulsion package
- 2013-04-29 - MAN Diesel offers ABB HP tuning as two-stroke option
- 2013-05-03 - Goltens opens new Dubai Maritime City facility
- 2013-05-09 - MAN B&W G type engines to power Teekay Tanker newbuilds
- 2013-05-16 - Latest MAN B&W G-type completes type approval test