IJmuiden, Netherlands, headquartered Offshore Ship Designers has been chosen to design a series of six new fuel-efficient seismic support/chase vessels ordered by offshore major Bourbon to be built at Dubai’s Grandweld Shipyards. The 53 m vessels will have a fuel efficient hybrid propulsion system delivering a flexible economic solution for the varied conditions required to support seismic survey vessels including transit speed, slow speed escort and support work and a high degree of manoeuvrability.
Neil Patterson, managing director of OSD-IMT, the U.K. arm of Offshore Ship Designers says, “We worked closely with Grandweld during the tender period and following their selection as one of the short-listed bidders, we assisted them technically during the successful contract negotiation process, and are pleased to have been entrusted with the design of these new vessels.”
The vessels will be chartered by Bourbon to CGGVeritas with delivery of the first vessels set for the end of 2012. They will be used to support the fleet of CGGVeritas seismic survey vessels operating all over the world, providing them with services including crew change, fuel delivery, storage, assistance and support during at-sea maintenance operations.
Operational requirements of the design include:
- Cargo runs from port to the mother ship
- Transfer of fuel, potable water, dry and refrigerated stores and general cargo to the mother ship.
- Transfer of crew to and from the mother ship.
- Accompanying the mother ship when conducting seismic operations
- Towing of the mother ship when conducting seismic operations
- Retrieval of streamer cables
Key feature of the hybrid propulsion system are:
- Two main marine diesel propulsion engines, two controllable pitch propellers in nozzles, two main gearboxes each with a PTI electric propulsion motor and three diesel driven generating sets, and two electrically driven bow tunnel thrusters.
- Diesel-mechanical mode using main engines only used for the transit operation.
- Diesel-electrical mode with main engines declutched using PTI propulsion motors powered by the gensets for chase and slow speed operation.
- Boost mode with main engines and PTI propulsion motors (powered by the gensets) engaged used for towing operation.
- Automatic push button selection between the different propulsion modes.
- Service speed in transit mode with only main engines in operation – 11.0 knots
- Service speed in diesel-electric mode without main engines – up to 6.0 knots
- Service speed in boost mode with main engines and PTI motors – 11.3 knots
- Bollard pull in boost mode with main engines and PTI motors – 50 tonnes
Main particulars are length 53.8 m, beam 13.0 m, depth 5.8 m, load draft 4.8 m, cargo fuel capacity 850 cu m, marine gas oil fuel 260 cu m, potable water 100cu m, refrigerated and dry storage capability as well as space on deck for stowage of stores containers.
July 19, 2011
- 2011-07-28 - Campbell Shipping orders fuel-efficient bulkers at Tsuji
- 2011-09-09 - Otto Marine books newbuilding orders for AHTS duo
- 2012-04-18 - Liberian flag benefits as Greek fleet adds to tonnage total
- 2012-01-27 - Bollinger Shipyards President and CEO honored by Signal Mutual
- 2012-02-06 - LEEVAC launches third lightering support vessel for AET
- 2012-01-31 - Wärtsilä completes Hamworthy acquisition
- 2012-03-22 - BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards seeks to diversify production
- 2012-05-09 - Damen delivers firefighting vessel to Bremen
- 2012-05-16 - Cargotec books contracts to equip 15 OSV's building in China
- 2012-05-16 - Conrad Industries reports on first quarter and backlog
- 2012-05-22 - BMT Nigel Gee to provide vessel designs to Estonia's BLRT Marketex
- 2012-07-23 - Atlantic Offshore orders FSVs from Spain's Zamonaka
- 2012-08-09 - Bollinger appoints Skip Bowen as VP Government Relations
- 2012-09-21 - USCG exercises option with Bollinger for six more FRCs
- 2012-10-01 - NSRP to fund 12 new shipbuilding R&D projects
- 2012-10-10 - Damen Shipyards to build new generation SAR vessel
- 2012-10-10 - Nam Cheong sells two build-for-stock PSV newbuilds
- 2012-11-19 - ABS in strategic cooperation with Taiwan shipbuilder
- 2012-11-21 - Bollinger delivers fourth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2012-11-23 - BMT Nigel Gee WSVs launched by three shipyards
- 2012-11-27 - Stolt Tankers orders five from Chinese shipyards
- 2012-11-29 - Damen to build rescue ship to support RAN sub fleet
- 2012-12-07 - VT Halter Marine breaks ground for new ship repair facility
- 2012-12-21 - Fincantieri to acquire STX OSV
- 2012-12-21 - LR gives approval in principle to LNG-fueled bulker
- 2013-01-04 - Frontline 2012 said to ink LOIs for bulker newbuilds
- 2013-01-23 - Fincantieri completes its acquisition of STX OSV
- 2013-01-31 - Federal judge throws out U.S. suit against Bollinger
- 2013-02-05 - Detyens awarded $8.45 million for T-AKE 5 drydocking
- 2013-02-08 - Damen acquires Dutch ship repairer Shipdock
- 2013-02-12 - Harvey Gulf gets $100 million charter for newbuild
- 2013-02-20 - EC unveils new strategy for shipbuilding
- 2013-02-25 - Vancouver Shipyards Co. gets preliminary NSPS contracts
- 2013-03-07 - Scorpio Tankers continues newbuilding spree
- 2013-03-18 - Vancouver Shipyards starts OFSV design work
- 2013-03-19 - Siemens wins order for Aries PSV diesel electric solution
- 2013-03-21 - GAO reports on impacts of Jones Act on Puerto Rico trade
- 2013-03-25 - Bibby COO warns: Eco ships won't arrive overnight
- 2013-03-25 - Bollinger delivers fifth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2013-03-27 - ClassNK approves duplex stainless steel applications
- 2013-03-27 - Kotug to add four new Rotor Tugs to its fleet
- 2013-03-29 - Sentinel Marine orders ERRVs for North Sea at Nam Cheong
- 2013-04-02 - AdvanFort adds to business development team
- 2013-04-05 - Damen to tackle South African DAFF fleet woes
- 2013-04-12 - Leevac wins Tidewater PSV contract
- 2013-04-19 - Damen books big Bahamas contract
- 2013-04-26 - Viking invests in new Singapore innovation hub
- 2013-05-09 - Rolls-Royce books 100th drillship propulsion order
- 2013-05-15 - Conrad increases net and adds to backlog
- 2013-05-20 - MacGregor wins offshore winch contracts
- 2013-05-22 - Damen Stan Patrols chosen by Italy's Guardia di Finanza
- 2013-05-22 - Bollinger delivers sixth FRC to Coast Guard
- 2013-05-23 - Leevac to build two MPSVs for Hornbeck Offshore
- 2013-06-06 - TOTE seeks Title XI guarantees for LNG fueled newbuilds
- 2013-06-06 - China buys license to build new LNG containership family
- 2013-06-14 - Shipping industry confidence levels perk up