September 11, 2008
Senate panel approves funding for third DDG-1000
The Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee yesterday approved FY 2009 Defense Appropriations legislation that supported the budget request for one DDG-1000 Zumwalt class destroyer.
This would be the third DDG-1000 and puts the Senate position at variance with that of the House, which wants to cap the expensive program at two ships.
The Senate subcommittee's version of the FY 2009 shipbuilding budget also
- Adds $170 million for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS)
- Adds $79 million for the Virginia Class submarine program
- Funds $178 million for advance procurement of one LHA(R)
- Adds $397 million for advance procurement of one DDG-51 class ship
- Adds $273 million in advance procurement for LPD-26
- Eliminates Littoral Combat Ship Mission Module funding due to shipbuilding delays, and instead provides funds for key stand-alone mine warfare technologies