April 21, 2010
Crew members missing after rig explosion
The Transocean semisubmersible drilling rig Deepwater Horizon was still burning as of 5.30 a.m.this morning and 15 crew members were reported missing. Watchstanders at the U.S. Coast Guard District Eight command center received a report at approximately 10 p.m. Tuesday of an explosion and fire aboard the MODU.
In an interview with WWLTV this morning, Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said that 15 people that were aboard the rig were still missing, but that there had been reports of a lifeboat that was spotted at some point following the incident.and a search was continuing to find it.
"The rig is leaning badly and the Coast Guard commander down here feels like it may go over sometime today," Mr. Nungesser said.
"Transocean's Emergency and Family Response Teams are working with the U.S. Coast Guard and lease operator BP Exploration & Production, Inc. to care for all rig personnel and search for missing rig personnel," said Transocean. "A substantial majority of the 126 member crew is safe but some crew members remain unaccounted for at this time. Injured personnel are receiving medical treatment as necessary. The names and hometowns of injured persons are being withheld until family members can be notified."
Multiple Coast Guard helicopters, planes and cutters are responding to the incident.